Sunday, October 15, 2023

A difficult version of Sunday Stealing

This is the hardest Sunday Stealing I've ever done.

1. Write about the best decision you ever made. How did you make it? Was it reasoning or gut instinct?  I suppose my best decision was marrying my husband.  It was probably just reasoning at the time, but I've certainly had a happy life for the last 57 years.

2. What ONE thing would you change about your life? How would your life be different?  I probably wouldn't change a thing.  "I don't look back, somebody might be gaining on me."  Satchel Paige said that.  I know there are many things I SHOULD have done differently, but I also know that if I had a second chance, I'd likely do it the same way all over again.  I'm weak.

3. What is the hardest thing you have ever done? Why was it hard for you? What did you learn?  I don't do hard things.  I'm too lazy.  

4. What is your greatest hope for your future? What steps can you take to make it happen?  The greatest hope for my future is that I don't end up with dementia.  That's not something you can fix.

5. If you can time travel, what will you tell your teenage self?  You're going to find somebody who loves you just like you are; be patient.

6. Write about the most glorious moment in your life so far.  I find glorious moments often, usually in nature.

7. Write about a moment you feel brave.  I don't know how to answer this.  Maybe I've never been brave.

8.  What made you happy today?  The fact that I can drink coffee again.  I had stomach problems for two or three years, and coffee made my stomach hurt so I quit drinking it.

9. What do you dislike most about growing up?  Worry!  I never worried when I was a child, and had no responsibilities.  My parents never gave me a reason to think the world wasn't perfect or that God wasn't on His throne.

10. Write about ten activities you love the most and why you love them.  I'm past doing some of them these days, but here goes:  1.  horseback riding through the countryside  2.  Choring and milking my Jersey cows and raising bottle calves.  3.  Taking daily morning walks: when I walked alone I thought up songs I later wrote, and talked to God; when my husband walked with me, it was a nice time to be together and talk.  4.  Tending to all the wonderful dogs I've had in my life, especially Sadie, may she rest in peace.  5.  I like going to church.  My husband says that's just because I was raised that way.  Maybe so.  6.  I enjoy cooking most of the time.  7.  I used to write poems and songs; if they turned out to be good, it was the best feeling ever.  8.  I like to read, and in my old age I thank God every day for ebooks that I can check out of the library from my easy chair.  9.  I can't say I love television, but when I find a great movie, I enjoy watching.  A couple of days ago I was looking for something to watch on Netflix.  My husband and I ended up watching a movie based on a Pulitzer-prize-winning play, Fences.  It shook me to the core.  10.  I like being around infants and toddlers; they are so loving and innocent, and wise in their own way.     

11. Do you have an embarrassing moment that still makes you cringe?   Write about it in as much detail as you feel comfortable!  I have hundreds of embarrassing moments!  I am a loner, and not very good with people.  I can remember moments even from my childhood when I said the wrong thing, not even knowing it was wrong until someone told me.  And yes, I still do that.  It's a character flaw; I have always been self-centered because "alone" is how I feel safe.  Sometimes my husband will say, "I can't believe you said that to (whoever).  Only then do I realize what something I said in innocence sounded like to the other person.

12. What has been your best trip so far?  I love road trips.  I enjoyed most of our trips to Colorado.  When we had the motorcycle I enjoyed riding on the backroads anywhere.

 13. Write a list of 5 things (physical or personality-wise) you love about yourself, and why they make you unique.  Well, I'm definitely unique; maybe that is one thing I love about myself, that I've never met anyone like me.  Honestly, it goes against the grain for me to say I love anything about myself.  So I won't.  That should tell you something about me right there! 

14. Discuss 5 things you wish others knew about you.  I don't worry about what people know about me.

15. Is social media a blessing or a curse?  It's what you make it.  I've seen both sides.  

12 comments:

  1. Donna, I have to say that something that I really admire about you is the fact that you unflinchingly look at yourself and see your shortcomings, and your strengths. Not many people have that selfawareness. I would sure find it interesting to be your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 57 years married - that's amazing.

    I have been known to say stupid things to people in the past - out of shyness and nervousness. I used to beat myself up over it - not now though. I just laugh! It works.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m thankful I can have my morning coffee. Most things were not thankful for them til they’re no more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this was a hard Sunday Stealing, too. But you answered it well, better than I did, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but I think you did fine on yours.

      Delete
  5. "My parents never gave me a reason to think the world wasn't perfect or that God wasn't on His throne."

    Do you wish they'd told you more or are you happy for the calm start?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fences is great. There are 10 plays in that August Wilson cycle, some of whiuch have been made into films or TV movies. Recommended.
    I like going to church, in part, because I stopped in my twenties and came back to it.
    This was a long and difficult Sunday Stealing, but ultimately worth it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost didn't do it because it had some questions that I didn't want to tackle, but I got around them somehow. I've gotten away from church several times for a few years, but I'm happiest with I'm going to church. I don't really even care what denomination it is.

      Delete
  7. Your list and the answers made me think..I'd say you being willing to put your answers "out there" was brave!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fact that you are concerned about hurting other people shows what a kind and well-meaning person you are. You're honest with others and also with yourself. That's a fine quality.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!