Wednesday, October 25, 2023

My favorite tree

 It rained off and on all night.  I went to see how much rain we received (two and one tenth inches) and walked on toward my cottonwood tree.  When we bought this place, there was a cottonwood tree in the yard at our old house.  Cliff hated it though, and finally took it down because when that "cotton" on the tree is ripe, the breeze will take it everywhere.  It sticks on cars and is hard to remove.  Cliff used to always have a clean, shiny car.

When we moved here to the trailor house, I realized I had a cottonwood tree I could see every day, but far enough away that it didn't mess up the car... not that Cliff would care as much now, since Blue the cat puts footprints all over the hood and he doesn't worry much about it.  In fact, he has decided to let both cats live in the garage!  He has really changed with age.

You can see the clouds are still around after the nightly rain, and some weather-guessers think there will be more this afternoon.  Time will tell.

I have blogged about my cottonwood tree before, although it's nothing fancy in the way of trees.  After strong winds blow, there are tree limbs on the ground under it.  Cottonwood isn't really good for anything as far as I know.  If you dry it and put it in a wood stove it will burn, but it gives out very little heat.  It isn't a beautiful tree... the branches falling in every storm make it look raggedy.  It grows fast, and can be really huge; in a yard, one fears that they'll fall on the house .  

I think I like the tree for two reasons:  It whispers in a summer breeze, and it has a lot of faults, just like me.  

When I think about my cottonwood tree, it reminds me of Debbie Reynolds singing Tammy in Tammy and the Bachelor (circa 1957)


I always put this song in when I'm blogging about my Cottonwood tree because I so loved the song when I was thirteen.

12 comments:

  1. I think it's a pretty tree! I too have an affinity for trees, being surrounded by them in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rain is heading my way and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

    I have several favorite trees scattered out over the farm. They are all lone sentinels like your cottonwood but mostly mature oak trees. I do have a cottonwood at the base of our yard here in town and the cotton does blow everywhere but fortunately, our vehicles are always parked inside and so don't suffer the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had several huge cottonwoods across the streets and I remember when the 'cottons' would float down. It was actually rather magical. Then again, we never had our car beneath it.
    I loved that movie! I do remember that song too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a cottonwood tree. I zoomed in to view it up close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Down in our ditch (canyon), there are some so big around it would take three people to stand around them holding hands

      Delete
  5. A beautiful post, Donna. There are cottonwood trees around here in TN but I didn't know anything about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon. I'm praying you'll soon be able to get home and see your favorite trees.

      Delete
  6. My first encounter with cottonwood trees was when we moved to Minnesota. Our subdivision was an old pig farm and parts of it were still undeveloped and there were quite a few trees. I was unaware of the kind of trees until Spring and that is when I noticed all the fluff in the air that triggered an asthma attack! Turns out I am allergic to cottonwood trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have issues each spring when the cottonwood fluff is flying.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:28 PM

    One of my favorite trees is a big cottonwood tree. I especially love to listen to the leaves as the rustle in the wind. We have a giant one across from our driveway. Cora has learned about it's sound. One day and eagle swooped down and grabbed our momma kitty in his talons. As the cat screamed and twisted, Cora and I were watching in horror. The cat got the eagle to let go, just as they topped the big cottonwood. Momma kitty went through the branches like a disk on the Price is Right show in the Plunkard game. The cat broke her pelvic bone. Cora has told that story over and over as she shows a new commer to grandma's house the cottonwood tree story. ....the vet fixed the cat....now she's the most expensive barn cat I'll ever own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Iowa cat, Blue, is my most expensive cat. In his first year we had to take him to the vet twice to be stitched up. Apparently he was fighting nocturnal animals by night, because he sure got battered up. I'm sure he didn't cost me as much as your poor cat, though.

      Delete
  8. I have a favorite tree. I saw it every day that I rode my school bus as a child. It stands there still.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!