Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Looking for leaves

Our leaves are rapidly changing to their autumn colors, and I needed a road trip.  I saw somewhere on the web that this was the peak time to visit Lake of the Ozarks to see the beauty of the changing leaves.  Then I stumbled on another site entitled 6 Fabulous Fall Drives in Missouri and read through the various places.  Cliff doesn't enjoy road trips as much as I do, so I decided to choose a trip that would begin in the town where he was born:  Versailles, Missouri.  His mother had her first four children at home.  Of course there's nothing new to us about the journey to Versailles, since we visited his aunts and uncles often.  We've tried every road you can use to get from our home to Versailles, especially when we were riding our Honda Goldwing.  Motorcycles are made for riding the backroads.  

At Versailles, the leaves were pretty much like ours at home, but I figured maybe they'd be more colorful when we got to the lake.  I wanted to end our trip at the Ha Ha Tonka Missouri State Park.  It's been a long time since we were down there on the motorcycle.  The ruins of the old castle are on a steep hill, and Cliff wouldn't have been able to breath by the time he got halfway there.  So he waited in the car while I took some pictures.  When we were there in 2011, people could walk around in the ruins, but now there's a fence around it.


The view from the castle yesterday

You can find the sad, entire story of Ha Ha Tonka HERE.

As you can see, the autumn colors at Ha Ha Tonka aren't at their best yet.  

In fact, I took the following picture from my backyard when we got home.  You can read the entire story of the place throughout my  blog.  (Ha Ha Woodhaven)  


We ate at Volkers Pub and Eatery in Sedalia; I had a delicious Pub Reuben sandwich, and Cliff had a salad.  We don't eat out a lot, so the shock of paying $14 for a sandwich, and another $10 for a salad, was a reminder of what inflation is doing.  With the tip, it cost over thirty bucks.  At least my Reuben was unique and not something I could probably imitate at home, so there's that.  And I got loaded kettle chips free with my sandwich; I shared them with Cliff, and we both liked them.

8 comments:

  1. David Remley9:27 AM

    Nicely written, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:42 AM

    Fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year or maybe the year before, we were looking for a place to visit for a long weekend and settled on Lake of the Ozarks. As I was planning a list of things to do while there, I came across that castle and added it to our list. For some reason, we ended up going elsewhere but perhaps someday we can see it and other things.

    I have driven through the area hundreds of times over the years but try not to stop. The traffic is always so bad there I just want to keep moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's actually a fairly reasonable meal if it was a lunch salad. Prices are higher here. Our fall colors are peaking right now although we have lots of evergreens too, so it's not a riot of color like it is other places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Ruben sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was different. It was on a big bun.

      Delete
  6. Facebook Memories reminded me that the fall colors are delayed this year. Last year I posted a photo of the tree outside of the condo, which was completely golden. This year only a quarter of the leaves have turned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:14 AM

    Love your travel and memory treasures you write about
    Mo-mo.. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!