Thursday, October 26, 2023

My husband loves potato soup

We are still getting rain; if it keeps on like it is now, we'll have gotten at least four inches altogether yesterday and today.  It looks and feels like we may get more than that.

So here we are, Cliff and I, stuck in the house listening to it thunder and rain.  His sister in St. Louis called a couple days ago and said they will be in the area, so they're coming to see us Friday (tomorrow).  When Cliff got off the phone he asked me what I could cook, and mentioned potato soup in case they get here to eat dinner with us at noon.  I haven't made potato soup lately, so that's fine.  I told him I'd make it today, because potato soup isn't at its best until the second day.

This morning we're both web-surfing and Cliff says, "When are you going to make the potato soup?"

I told him I'd make it whenever I'm ready, and that he was not going to get any of it today anyway.

"How much are you going to make?"  he says.  

OK, at this point I'm wondering what's bothering him, because he's beginning to bother me.

"I don't know," I said.  "Why?"

"Well, because it's going to be the two of us and Charlene and Pat and Rena (his other sister).  And Arick and Alex will probably be here."

Sighing, I said, "But Charlene said Pat wouldn't be eating (there's a story there, but it's not mine to tell).  And I'll make enough to fill up that big, gallon pan that was my mom's."

I don't recall where it went from there, except he said I'd better go to the doctor and get some of those depression pills I took in 2021 due to covid arguments and political talk that was on the Internet that year.  I really do not admire people who have to let everybody know on Facebook what their opinion is, as if we will see what "wise" choices they are making and follow suit.  All I can say is it really got to me back then; now I've learned to laugh about it and I DO NOT need a pill.  I'm not depressed, I just don't need somebody who can't cook telling me when and how much to cook.  

I'm actually telling this story for you to laugh at, because the whole thing was funny.  But I will warn you, a lot of my older friends told me that when Cliff retired, he'd be telling me how to do things around the house.  

Ladies, be prepared when your husband retires... maybe build a nice little she-shed out back.

6 comments:

  1. You've been hogging all that rain. By the time it has reached here, we've not quite got half an inch out of the promised inches forecasted by our weather man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I know that feeling.

      Delete
  2. Cliff and I. Remove the comma. Yes. I know. My husband always wants to work. I like to do other things. Like NOT working...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cliff and I. :) I love potato soup also; it's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that did happen when I retired, but then he passed and I can do as I please. It’s not all that great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!