Friday, October 13, 2023

Lady Blues Singers

After figuring out my Wordle word this morning, scanning the scary state of the world on CNN.com, and doing my Kappa word-search puzzle, for some reason I started thinking about all the old-time blues lady singers I have enjoyed.  Yesterday I made a note of the ones I could recall, and today I decided to listen to at least one song from each of the women on my list.  I would tell Alexa the name of the person, and she'd select the song.
 
I started with Aretha Franklin singing "A Natural Woman".  What a nice start to my day.  Aretha is a favorite of mine.

Bessie Smith sang "Down-Hearted Blues", reminding me how we feel when we love someone who doesn't love us.

Etta James told me At last her time had come.  It's a soothing song;  I never cared for her jazzy scat singing, though.

On the other hand, Billy Holiday was singing Good Morning Heartache

We can't forget Big Mama Thornton, who sang Ball and Chain, later recorded by Janis Joplin.  Big Mama was also the first person to record "Hound Dog" and she made it known that "her song" made Elvis famous.

I ended my little morning party with the woman who is called Mother of the Blues, Ma Rainey; she died in 1939.  I listened to her singing Daddy Goodbye Blues.  Her songs can be very suggestive.

I tell everybody I am a true fan of classic country songs and folk music; well, I consider the blues about as folk as you can get.  I need to listen to these ladies more often. 

3 comments:

I love comments!