Monday, June 05, 2023

Trying to be heard (more on my singing)

"A star was not born" part II.

After failing to win a prize in two different talent shows, I guess my mother gave up.  Or maybe she gave up because when she tried to get me to learn the song "Mom and Dad Waltz"; I flatly refused.  Really, who wants sing a lovey-dovey song about her parents in front of people?  Yes, I was a spoiled, rebellious kid, the result of the only successful pregnancy of my mother's life.  After my (half) sister got married when I was two years old, I was the only kid in our home.  

However, I think her efforts must have made me enjoy having an audience, because I made sure someone heard me singing every chance I got.

For a short time we lived in Harlem (the one in Kansas City, not New York), next door to our landlords, an old couple who went to a small Pentecostal church on the corner.  They were very kind to us, and obviously very religious.  So that summer when the windows were all raised, I'd get a hymnbook, sit as close as possible to the open window in my bedroom, and sing away, positive they'd love hearing those Christian hymns.

When I was 13 or 14, I would sing current rock-and-roll songs of the day standing on a self-made platform in the yard (a washtub turned upside-down), assuming that somebody, somewhere, would hear me and enjoy it.  I doubt anyone else of that age would have done such a thing... it seems so childish now.  

I loved to "make a joyful noise" in church when they sang, and especially loved the first-Sunday all-day meetings we had at various Church-of-Christ congregations.  I tried to sing louder than anybody else there.  

At some point my mother taught me how to sing alto:  we'd be going somewhere in the car singing hymns; my parents would sing soprano and I'd be singing the alto.  At first, if I got lost doing my alto, mother would switch to alto and help me out, while Daddy kept singing the soprano.

When I think about the way I was always wanting somebody listen to me, I wonder if I really thought I was all that great.  I was explaining this to Cliff the other day, and came to the realization that I might have needed a shrink at a very young age.  But I was so happy!  

I think what it amounted to was that I just wanted to be heard.  I was the only child in a household with two working parents, spending a lot of time alone; I spent my early childhood pretending I had friends and talking to myself.  After we moved to Kansas City, I had no real friends at all in that big school, not even in High School except for two cousins my age.  I avoided making friends, and still do sometimes.  That's probably why I blog... so somebody knows I'm here.

At least I can say I'm one of a kind. 

5 comments:


  1. Not being heard is a common theme for women, I'm afraid. Good for you for being loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to know you and enjoy learning about you and your surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanting to be heard and getting joy from the singing and the music--what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the peek into your past. And by the way, the photo heading of your garden is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks like you've been singing to it! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!