Sunday, June 25, 2023

Sunday Stealing

1. Would you rather ride a bike, ride a horse, or drive a car?  Never had a license to drive a car.  Back when my knees didn't hurt, I enjoyed riding a bike, although I didn't always feel safe riding it on a public road.  I've had horses, and the last one I had was the best.  I rode around the countryside and down by the Missouri river... some of the best times of my life.  Here's a ride I took through the local graveyard.


2. Who is your favorite author?  There is no way I can answer this.  I always have a book I'm reading, and there are too many good authors to name just one or two.

3. Would you rather vacation in Hawaii or Alaska, and why?  I've really never wanted to go to either of those places.  Hawaii sounds like a nightmare... too many tourists there all the time; I would have liked it in 1950, perhaps.  Alaska?  No way.  It's cold.

4. If you could go back in time, what year would you travel to?  I wouldn't mind going back to my childhood in the 1950's, but not as an adult.  I'd just like to live my childhood over.

5.  What's your favorite zoo animal?  The big cats:  Lions, tigers, leopards

6.  What's the tallest building you've been to the top of?  I suppose the Kansas City city hall.   "View the city from the 30th floor of City Hall. City Hall is the third tallest building in the city. It measures 443 feet from the sidewalk at the north door to the top of the building. Since it's on a hill, it dominates the downtown skyline. When it was first built, it was the tallest building in the state. It remains one of the tallest city halls in the country. The building, which required 22 months to construct, is considered to have a neo-classic or beaux arts architecture, but is most notable for its art deco details and ornamentation. This is evident in a myriad of interior details, including sculpted brass elevator doors depicting the four major modes of transportation that serve Kansas City; elaborate light fixtures in the lobby and elsewhere; and even custom brass doorknob plates. Outside, at the top floor of the six-story base, windows are replaced with a frieze of relief sculptures depicting the early settlement and growth of the Kansas City area."

7. How often do you buy clothes?  Not very often at all.

8. What was the last thing you recorded on TV?  We got rid of Directv over a year ago and saved over $1,000 yearly.  Now we stream our programs.  We pay for Netflix, Hulu, and Paramount, and I'm thinking we'll drop Netflix.  One thing I like about streaming options is that  you can cancel any option at any time, and get it back later if you want with no penalty.

9.  What was the last book you read?  That would be the book I'm reading now:  The Locked Room, by Ellie Griffiths.  I'd never heard of her until I was looking at Margaret's book list on her blog.  I enjoy most of the books she reads.  

10. What's your favorite type of foreign food?  Mexican and Chinese, although I don't know if you could call most of those places "foreign" after they've been Americanized.  Especially Chinese.  We don't eat out a lot, and were never adventurous when it came to eating out.

11. What kitchen appliance do you use every day?  The kitchen range.  And of course, the coffee pot.

12. How old were you when you learned Santa wasn't real?  Perhaps nine years old, but then I pretended to believe in him for a couple more years.  How did you find out?  I probably heard other children saying he wasn't real, or maybe I figured it out for myself.

13.  What was your favorite subject in school?  English

14. What's the most unusual thing you've ever eaten?  Mountain oysters

15. What's your favorite family recipe?  Noodles

You'll find Sunday Stealing posts each week, right here.  Join us.  You'd be surprised how many interesting stories come out of memes.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I only know a few people who've eaten mountain oysters. PS Your video is marked private and unavailable to view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my son told me. I think it's public now.

      Delete
  2. David Remley8:58 AM

    I like graveyards because there are no arguments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet that's the ONLY place you don't stir up arguments.

      Delete
  3. We stream our shows also. I really like it and yes, it is cheaper. Loved your answers! Have a nice day! ♥

    P.S. I live in the Springfield/Branson area of Missouri and lived in Kansas City for a brief period when I was in my 20's. Loved it there.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We stream, too. It is much cheaper and I don't really miss the other. We both love the big cats :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to think about streaming since I pay a LOT for cable and hardly watch it. Biking is terrifying on the road these days. John and I try to stay to the trails and away from cars! I love Elly Griffiths and Ruth, who seems very real to me somehow. Hawaii is gorgeous but indeed crowded these days. I love Alaska although no one would visit there during the winter. The end of July is best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oahu is very crowded with tourists, but the other islands aren't. We've been to Maui and to the Big Island, neither of which is crowded. As for Alaska, we were there in the summer and it was beautiful. Definitely not cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it's more of a moot question anyway. We can't even afford a trip to Colorado.

      Delete
  7. Answer #6 reminds me of a song from Oklahoma! "Everything's up to date in Kansas City. They've gone about as fur as they can go!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been to Hawaii since 2015 but it was really nice. We did not go to the touristy places but we enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!