Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Google bloggers, help me figure this out!

 I received an email from Google that I'm not sure I understand, but it seems to me that all the pictures on my blog might disappear.  When AOL Journals closed down their blogging platform, I moved my original blog to Blogger for the memories I'd saved there, but most of the pictures were gone.  At least I kept the written memories, and then began a new Blog. 

Hi Donna,  

You’re receiving this email because you’ve viewed Album Archive recently or you may have some content that is visible in Album Archive. Starting on July 19, 2023, Album Archive will no longer be available. We recommend that you use Google Takeout to download a copy of your Album Archive data before then.
Today, Album Archive lets you view and manage album content from some Google products within Album Archive.
However, some content that’s only available in Album Archive will be deleted starting July 19 including
1.Rare cases like small thumbnail photos and album comments or likes
2.Some Google Hangouts data from Album Archive
3.Background images uploaded in the Gmail theme picker prior to 2018
If you would like to access this data, please make a copy of this data using Google Takeout. After Album Archive is no longer available, you can still use those Google products to view and manage some content directly – learn more.

I don't know what to think about this.  Any thoughts from my fellow bloggers??

12 comments:

  1. I'm afraid that I'm just a Blogspot blogger like you in the same boat. I've done the recommended download (with 157 "Service failed to retrieve this item" messages out of 1072 items downloaded.)

    The files include JSON files that don't appear to have any value to me.

    I'm assuming I need to upload all the image files somewhere else and then redo my photo links in all the past posts. That's a nightmare.

    Google has been very noninformative to us bloggers. On the one hand, they've said "After July 19, 2023, the Google Album Archive won’t be available", but they also said: "After July 19, 2023, to view and manage your content, you can use these other Google products: Blogger..."

    I have no idea what this means for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:58 AM

    I hate to think the pictures I've taken for years will disappear. Some are on my computer but others are so old, I no longer have them. I'm protesting this change. Blogger isn't what it used to be. Please Blogger folks keep my archives on line. I can't understand why you are ending years of a great relationship, Good question Donna, I hope we get some answers. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't gotten an email yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if one showed up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the same email. Didn’t have a clue what it meant. I’ll check with Fleta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to a Google support forum and got an answer that seems to say our blogger pictures will be safe.

    But I'm downloading everything in advance.

    https://support.google.com/blogger/thread/221791198/does-album-archive-s-upcoming-demise-mean-i-have-to-rehost-all-the-images-in-my-blog?msgid=221836346#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of thought they weren't, but it's so hard to actually connect with them, you never really know what's going on. Thank you for the (hopefully) good news.

      Delete
  6. Typepad is also sending some confusing messages about having to switch something. I don't understand why or what to do. It's scary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fleta said the archive holds just pictures. They’ll still be on the blog post. She’s going to download hers from the archive. I’ll see how that goes before I decide to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you post pictures from your album archive, the picture remains in the archive but posts on your blog (or where ever). No matter what happens with the archive, your pictures on the blog remain because they are copies from your archive. The pictures affected are your originals. That is how I understand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. That's what I was hoping for.

      Delete
  9. When I went to the archives, none of my blogger photos were there, just some things someone I had shared with me, so I assume they aren't tied together. But I don't use the google photos app, I upload directly to my blog from the computer, so things don't go to the archive, they go straight into my blog. I have always done it this way. I think your blog photos are safe, from what I've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's how I do my pictures too.

      Delete

I love comments!