Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Shopping day

We didn't go as far as Blue Springs today, since Aldi only had one real bargain on hamburger, and it was 73% lean for $1.99 per pound; I don't want anything fattier than 80% lean.  So we went to Price Chopper in Grain Valley and bought 80/20 ground beef for $2.49 a pound, then back to Oak Grove Walmart.  The mangos I bought a week ago are just beginning to ripen, so I put most of them in the refrigerator to slow them down.  I like to eat one every day and savor them.  Speaking of mangos, I just googled to find whether I should be spelling the plural of mango "mangoes".  Turns out either way is right, but the latter doesn't look right to me.

I took my walk before we went shopping, though; temperatures were in the 60's at 8 A.M. because of a front that came through yesterday and gave us about three tenths of an inch of rain; not much, but the garden was happy, and still damp this morning.  

I love the way my mind wanders when I'm on my walk.  For some reason the old Gospel song "I Can't Feel at Home in this World Anymore" came to mind this morning, and I thought to myself, "Boy, that's the truth!"

Since this pandemic came along, I've learned I don't even know people I once thought I once knew fairly well.  People I thought were apparently nice folks making fun of those who protect themselves with masks.  People saying, "You can either trust God, or you can get vaccinated."  

Really?  Why can't you do both?  Somewhere in the Kansas City area, two children under three years old drowned in a swimming pool.  Do you suppose those people decided they didn't need to put a fence around the pool because they trusted God?  Probably not, but that would be the same kind of situation if it were the case.  Anyone can choose to wear a mask or not, but why do people make make fun of those who do?  "Go get in your hidey hole with your mask," they'll say.  "I'm not afraid!"

However, I am not as upset about these things as I used to be.  I will do what I know is best, and I will survive or not survive, but at least I'll know I made some effort to protect myself if I end up on a ventilator for weeks, dying.  Meanwhile, this world only feels like home when I'm out enjoying nature or on our property.  As the Bible says, "We are all strangers and pilgrims on the earth."

And I will distance myself from people as I've always done, pandemic or not.  I know very well how to build walls.

Sometimes I just need to let off a little steam.  Thank you for listening.

12 comments:

  1. Agree on masks and vaxxes. People here in the PNW, however, are pretty much masked up. Probably a higher vax rate too, but of course not high enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Donna. It’s so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel God provided a vaccine to help protect so I took it. My M-I-L is 88 yrs old and had the shot in assisted living and recently caught covid. She had to stay at her daughters for 10 days but she only had a little cough and the sniffles. We are thankful for that. Take care, Sheila Y

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe since God is Spirit, that we are commissioned to be God's hands in this world.
    Jesus taught we are to love our neighbors as ourselves. We are to take care of the stranger. The scriptures teach that in many places. If God actually interfered in our world, there would have been no holocaust or any other tragedy like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Masks and vaxxes are the way to control if not eradicate this pandemic. So many people think their "beliefs" are actually facts or science and they aren't. You've read my ranting on my blog, so you know I agree with you and am struggling with the same issues you are. Nature and walks and my cuddly cat, along with good reading, are how I combat what could become depression.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear that you're not getting yourself worked up over other people's choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get it. If they are so big on freedom, why aren't I free to wear a mask? So far haven't been mocked for wearing my mask and am grateful. Maybe my head full of white hair keeps them quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't something anybody told me, directly. It's what I see on the news and on Facebook. I unfollowed most of the people on Facebook who talked that way, but on some of the local city's neighborhood websites I see comments like that all the time. The only of these comments I heard directly was the one about choosing between Trusting God or getting a vaccine.

      Delete
  8. I am reminded of that old joke of the man trapped on the roof of his house due to rising flood waters and a raft, boat and helicopter all come by but the man waves them on saying that God will save him. When he drowns and arrives in heaven he asks God why He didn't save him from the flood. God told the man He sent a raft, a boat and a helicopter...

    Wearing masks seem like the same sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, my husband mentioned the same joke yesterday evening.

      Delete
  9. I can’t feel at home is this world anymore is one of my favorite songs! We have begun and offer on YouTube all our lessons from our church. We are studying Psalms. I learned there are many authors of the Psalms. Moses wrote one of the Psalms. Anyway thought I would share what I learned. Gabby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading the One-Year-Bible through again this year. I just got through Job and am now starting Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament and II Corinthians in the new. Each day I have a Psalm and a Proverb, also.

      Delete

I love comments!