Wednesday, September 08, 2021

Hot Dog!

I was reading something on the CNN website this morning that confused me.  Did you know that eating one hot dog can take 36 minutes away from your life?  Now I am a believer in science.  I trust most doctors.  However, I can't help but wonder how they came up with that figure:  Are there a lot of people who have kept track of how many hot dogs they've eaten throughout their entire lives so science can use those numbers, put them together, and after the subjects die, figure out how many hours each hot dog took away from them?  I do know hot dogs, ham, bacon and too much meat of any kind are not good for us.  But to say how many minutes each bite will cost us seems ridiculous, not to mention impractical and impossible.  

Obviously I don't have enough to do, or I wouldn't spend time thinking about something like this.

We are having a perfect day weatherwise.  It was 54˚ when I got up this morning, and has only gotten up to 81, which is probably the high.  Gabe and I didn't walk until after 10 A.M. and were pretty comfortable until we got out of the woods and walked toward home in full sunlight.  

My garden still produces, surprising me sometimes.  I brought in several peppers today, and a couple of tomatoes.  There are good-sized eggplants coming on; I really don't know why I bother with them, since I don't know many people who like them; I like watching the purple fruits grow, though.  I had two sickly strawberry plants I thought were dying, but today I discovered new growth on both of them.  

I really don't have much to share today, so I leave you with a video of my pets.  The cat, Blue, is very affectionate with Gabe, who has never appreciated the attention.


And below is a picture I took a few minutes ago of Grandson's dog, our dog, and Cliff, getting ready to ride to the pasture.  They are enjoying this wonderful day thoroughly.


Life is good at Woodhaven Acres.

11 comments:

  1. Perfect weather and everyone looks happy, including the animals! It's usually the dogs who are needy and the cats aloof. :) I love a good hot dog so in spite of that sketchy statistic, I'll continue to eat them. With sauerkraut, onions, mustard and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate three hot dogs yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed them. This is just another bogus scare tactic to keep us in a perpetual panic mode.
    It's been in the 50s here at night, too, and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After trying the turkey bacon and realizing it tasted like fried bologna, I don't think hotdogs could be much worse! I am loving this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are very happy. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the U.S., the average yearly hotdog consumption is 70 which means we all lose 1.75 days of our life per year... on average. So if the average person lives to 80, they are only giving up a little over four months of their lives. I don't eat anywhere near 70 hotdogs a month so color me not worried at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hot dog theory had me wondering. Since there is no finite way to know a person's exact life time, it could just as easily ADD 36 minutes.
    Minnie the cat does the same thing to Callie. Callie doesn't get ugly, just wants left alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the Internet, when cats rub on something they are just putting their mark on it to show ownership. Maybe Gabe figured that out and didn't want to be owned! Your thoughts on the hot dog theory correspond with my own.

      Delete
  7. Oh my, I low for love hot dogs especially the ones done on the grill in the summer and I enjoy a good chili dog too. With onion on the top. They may not be good for us, but they surely do taste good. Hopefully some of the good things I eat will counteract the effects. Who knew they could be so bad for us. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *haha* Blue just want to cuddle & take a nap...and Gabe isn't havin' it. So cute!! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What???? 36 minutes??? Aaack! And we've eaten the giant Costco hot dogs. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!