Thursday, September 23, 2021

Gabe is learning

We took the dog to the groomer at Bed and Bones yesterday; I told them I'd like to go back to the full Schnauzer cut for winter.  Cliff said they probably were glad of that, because now they don't have to do much clipping on his legs and belly.  

Originally, after owning a Schnauzer for awhile and taking him for walks around the place, I realized how much dirt and how many stickers and stick-tights could hide in all that fur and had them shave him all over, leaving only his beard and eyebrows to define him as a Schnauzer.


Here he is this morning, not looking much different that he has for most of his life with me; it's going to take awhile to distinguish his skirt and fill out the hair on his legs. 

Gabe turned four years old in August, and has only in the last two months learned it's fun to go to Bed and Bones.  Before, he enjoyed the ride, and even got sort of excited when we made the last turn onto the road that took us there.  However, once we got there he didn't want to go inside, and when we were inside, he wanted to follow me back out the door, every single time.  Two months ago, he wasn't quite as hesitant about staying, and the proprietor told me Gabe had a lot of fun playing with the other dogs.  You see, they don't put dogs in a cage until they're ready to be groomed; they let the small dogs run together to go outside in a fenced area until they are groomed and bathed, then they are inside together until they are picked up.  Same with the big dogs, but they do keep the big ones separated from the small ones.

Yesterday morning we were getting ready to take him in, so I said, "Gabe, are you ready to go to Bed and Bones?"  He started jumping almost as high as my waist, whining.  Then he started running in circles, still whining.  He was very excited!  When we opened the door to go to the car, Gabe led the way.

Once we arrived at Bed and Bones, I clipped a leash on his collar.  He strode proudly up to a convenient post and left a pee-mail for all who might come later, as though to say, "Look out girls, Elvis is in the building."

I told the folks about the Schnauzer cut; as they opened the gate to the inner sanctum, Gabe didn't even look back at me, and by the time I was back in the car, he was in the outside pen with his friends; he didn't even say goodbye.  It took four years, but I guess he finally realizes he may as well enjoy it, knowing we will return to pick him up.

13 comments:

  1. We had a schnauzer when I was a teenager. Because he tended to nip at people who groomed the tangles out of his fur my mom started having him shaved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabe doesn't mind me grooming his beard and eyebrows, but he is very picky about his belly. That's another reason I started having him shaved, but usually he behaves if I yell "no", or will quit actually biting and just act like he's biting.

      Delete
  2. I've never had a dog that had to be groomed, so this is interesting. Is it expensive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $35 for small dogs, and we take him every two months. We have to drive eight or ten miles one way, but everything is farther away when you live in the country. When we want to travel without Gabe, we leave him there, too. They love dogs and have nothing but great reviews. The only reason I got a Schnauzer is that I didn't want hair all over, and they don't shed. It seems the only non-shedding dogs are the ones that must be groomed.

      Delete
  3. So glad he is happy at the groomers now. Wonder if he has made a special friend in the pen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but I'm sure glad he loves to go now.

      Delete
  4. Awwww... just like kids & school. Soon they don't even look back to wave, when mama drives away. Having groomed our own Standard Poodles for many years, believe it or not using the clippers is a LOT easier than using the scissors. When hair is left longer, it has to be scissor-cut... which takes a lot longer to get it even & such. When the clippers are used, it's easy-peasy. Just run the clippers over the hair and like magic it's all even. :-) ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll probably go back to having him shaved in summer, but I thought the Schnauzer cut would be warmer for winter, and besides, it's so CUTE.

      Delete
  5. This may be a first but I'm a bit envious of his lush beard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, this comment cracked me up!!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, made me smile.

      Delete
  6. He is so cute! I miss having a pet but Suzanne doesn't want any animals in the apartments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really adorable. How wonderful that he's now found it fun to go there, play with friends and get spiffed up.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!