Thursday, September 16, 2021

Another nice day


I took this picture yesterday morning.  Looking at it here, it isn't much; but the larger I make it, the better it is.  When I loaded it onto the computer, I immediately decided it would be my new desktop picture.  Every time I open my computer, I like it a little more; it feels like I'm right back there in my happy place.

Monday we went to our favorite apple orchard.  I bought a half-bushel bag of #2 Jonathans for five dollars and a ten-pound bag of Galas; there weren't any #2 Galas, so I paid a higher price for those.  I think maybe it was eight dollars and some change.  The lady said they were almost out of Galas.  I got the Jonathans for pies, and bought some ice cream on the way home from the orchard.  Warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream is my favorite dessert.  I had intended to make the pie that same afternoon, but I wore out before I had time to make it, so I put it off until Tuesday afternoon.  By the time the grandson and his girl friend were both home from work, the pie was the perfect temperature for eating, so I called them over to have some with us.  I cut the pie into eight pieces, so we got rid of half the pie.  I told them if they wanted to come over the next evening, I'd let them have some more.  I can't keep it around, because Cliff and I can't leave it alone, and we don't need to be eating a whole pie!  I'm glad to have willing taste-testers close at hand.

I happened to notice there are five Wednesdays in September, which means our monthly Social Security has to stretch further.  I pondered it for awhile and came up with an idea:  We will skip going for groceries this week!  We've been eating quite a bit out of the garden lately:  Stuffed peppers, fried okra, smothered okra, and green beans with kielbasa, and are still getting a few tomatoes.  I have a head of cabbage in the refrigerator and corn, chicken, ground beef, and a ham in the freezer.  Yeah, we'll make it fine for six more days.  

I picked Gabe up during our walk and sat him on a stump for a picture.  I told him to sit/stay, which he did; but I had trouble getting him to pose and look at the camera.  He's always curious as to what's going on in the woods.

He looked to the left and right, and even behind him, but in order to get him to look toward me, I had to walk around the stump until he was forced to look at me.


He feet and beard were wet from the dew, and he was looking pretty trashy, so I gave him a bath when I had some time before dinner (the noon meal).  I'm thinking about asking the groomer to start letting his "skirt" grow out, which would make his belly and legs warmer for winter.  The reason I don't usually do that is that he's outdoors so much, and the longer hair picks up a lot of dirt.  Also, I'd have to do some combing and brushing to keep stickers and tangles out of the long hair.  

I'm loving these cool mornings!  It's supposed to get to the upper 80's over the weekend, then the temperature will take a dive, with highs in the 70's; when that cool front comes in, there's a chance of rain.  I sure do hope that happens.

That's all for today.    

6 comments:

  1. The rain we were forecast never showed up and we need it badly. It's been weeks since we had any rain. My yard is yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful and calm picture. I love apple crisp because I'm a huge fan of the topping. Also warm with vanilla ice cream. We're expecting huge rains for the next two or three days and boy do we need them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your photo's are wonderful. i like your happy place. gabe is adorable. he posed pretty well. yep Social Security must always be stretched. getting harder and harder to do. living out of the garden is a good idea. Veggies azre plentiful. Do you know of any good zuchini recipes??? I have a big ole one the size of a baseball bat and so thick it's unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to raise zucchini; squash bugs always kill it. The only thing I need zucchini for is ratatouille, if I have eggplant. People make zucchini cakes, and they are delicious, but there are other cakes and desserts I like better. I like zucchini to be about the size of a large cucumber, and anytime someone gives me one, they give me a big one.

      Delete
  4. I need to live near some people who make pie but shouldn't eat all of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be more next week, too.

      Delete

I love comments!