Tuesday, March 09, 2021

In other news and events

Cliff is going to the urologist today, his usual yearly checkup.  He did the PSA test last week at our regular doctor, to be sent to the urologist; he is one of the 15- to 20% people who happened to get the fast-growing kind of prostate cancer; 80% of prostrate cancers are slow-growing.  Every year that the PSA test comes back zero or close to it, we breathe a sigh of relief and continue with our lives.

And now I'll tell you about a horseback ride I took on March 7, 2007.

In 2004, I bought a Foxtrotter gelding, a brown horse named Blue.  He was not my first horse, but he turned out to be just what this old woman needed at the time.  I felt like he was almost babysitting me as  I rode him around the countryside for miles.  Riding a horse, you can hear birds sing and dogs bark.  accompanied by the clip-clop of the hooves on blacktop or gravel.  He and I had some adventures from time to time; I'm going to share some pictures taken about a mile from my house as the crow flies.  Our home is about a mile south of the Missouri River.  I used to ride west down a hill on 224 and turn at the first road going right; from there, I would ride to the river, riding all over the fertile bottomland.  There is only one house along that road that is inhabited now, but there was a deserted house where my women's Baptist Sunday School teacher, Mrs. Danner, used to live.  Any time I was riding past the house, I'd remember the late Mrs. Danner.  The house is very near the road, and I had assumed there was nothing there but that house, and maybe one outbuilding.  On this day I went up the driveway and discovered there were falling-down structures everywhere, as well as another house!  Almost like finding a ghost town.

The Danner House, seen from the road


The chicken house?

The outhouse!

Perhaps a shed where they milked a cow

Blue was patient while I explored

I never knew this house was back there.  I couldn't see it from the road.


When I first saw this cup I got the strangest feeling:  The flowers on it looked so delicate, laying outside a deserted house in the leaves left from the previous fall.  I pondered it from the saddle before I decided to ride through the woods toward home.

I was surprised to find road signs on paths through the woods that day; no doubt the four-wheeler riders put them there.  They don't ride down there as much any more:  they had been driving through the farmers'  crops all the time and were finally made aware of the fact they'd be in trouble with the law if they kept causing the farmers grief.  I had to smile at the signs, though.  There were others at different locations.


Here's a closer shot:

I rode the long way home that day, and couldn't forget about that fragile, broken cup laying among the leaves.  The next morning it was still on my mind, so I saddled up my horse and rode right back down there.  I wanted the cup for a souvenir, a keepsake.  It's a good thing I went and got it, because it wasn't more than six months before a man burned every one of those old buildings down.  I happened to ride my horse past as they were doing it.

I still have my souvenir, a chipped old cup without a handle that looked so lovely laying on the ground.  Even now, as I look at this picture, it feels as though it holds some sort of message to me.  A secret, perhaps, to help make the path ahead of me a little brighter.  I'll get it figured out one day.  If nothing else, it reminds me of the wonderful adventures I had with Blue.

10 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful flowers on the old cup. I'm glad you have a memories of the Sunday school teacher and those buildings. I hope that when I'm gone I will have left traces (positive ones anyway) in others' minds. Blue is a favorite animal name of yours, I take it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't name him. His registered name was Boogie Midnight Rhythm Blues and they called him Blue. The reason for the cat's name is that Cora's grandma in Iowa found his litter in her barn and knew I wanted a solid gray kitten. She messaged me on Facebook and said she had a blue kitten to bring to me next time she visited the area. I didn't know what kind of cat would be blue, never heard of such a thing. But she told me there is a breed called Russian Blue. So I named the kitten Blue.

      Delete
  2. I have a lot of mementos that remind me of a place and time but really have no meaning to my family. I like remembering those places and times from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! What a marvelous adventure! Would you believe I've been on a mule, camel, donkey, elephant, but never a horse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riding a mule is pretty much like riding a horse, although the mule has a very rough gait.

      Delete
  4. I remember you taking us on those rides on blue. I was working then and you gave me the break I needed then by enjoying your horse rides. How nice you have that old cup to remind you of those rides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me miss the peace of horseback riding. I am so glad you went back to rescue that cup. If only it could tell of all it has seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, you and I are again two peas in a pod... because I would definitely have gone back for that cup too!!!!! I wonder whose hands held it when they took their first sip of morning coffee or tea? I wonder how many holidays, hard times, and Sunday morning breakfasts that cup has seen? How interesting. I'm glad you have it! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my kids were young..in grade school,we used to rent horses in Bartlesville and go riding for an hour or two with a friend and her three kids. Then we would go by the Daylight Donut store and have hot chocolate and donuts. We have good memories of those times. I miss horseback riding.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!