Tuesday, March 16, 2021

It's a good day

A couple of days ago, Cliff brought to my attention that there was a lot of chatter on Facebook about Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond.  My husband actually spends more time on Facebook than I do these days, although his main reason for being there is that he's watching for bargain tractors on Marketplace.

I must have been the last person in the country to learn that Ladd Drummond and his nephew got very banged up in the process of battling high winds that were spreading fires across Kansas.  In fact, it turns out Ladd was walking around with a broken neck!  In case I'm not the only one that didn't know about the accident, the link is HERE.   

I am really wanting a road trip or a day trip or an overnight stay somewhere, but at this time of year, it's hard to settle on a destination that doesn't involve tractors.  It isn't really vacation time until May and June, so a lot of attractions aren't open at present.  There are so many places within four or five hours from our home, but we've already been to most of them.  I wouldn't mind seeing the Flint Hills area in Kansas again, or traveling on those crooked Arkansas roads through the hills.  

I have always wanted to spend a night at The Elms, in Excelsior Springs; that's about 45 minutes away.  However, there aren't a lot of things to do around there except for museums and such telling about the healing waters.  We do enjoy museums, though. 

I think we've seen everything there is to see in the state of Iowa on our tractor club bus trips:  An aviation museum, several tractor museums, railroad museums, even an art gallery.  Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind visiting the Nelson-Atkins Gallery of Art in Kansas City again.  We spent a great day there with a sweet lady as our guide, back in 2013;  You can read about that HERE.

So that's the state of my life:  I just want to go!  Not to any crowded places, and not to party.  I just want to be somewhere different for awhile.

I'm never satisfied, am I?  Hey, life is good here.  In spite of my rather curdled attitude lately, I have plenty to enjoy; I laugh every day about something, and we eat well.  It's more difficult than it used to be for me to keep a positive attitude, but I'll go down trying.  I need to learn from my pets, who simply live in the present, never concerned about what the future will bring.  

The present is really all we have.  



9 comments:

  1. "Banged up" is the understatement for the nephew, eh? I heard he's still in critical condition. I hope he makes it. Their vehicles hit head-on in a collision on a dusty country road. There was a fire in the area & they thought the smoke obstructed their view. Neither was wearing a seatbelt and the nephew was thrown 70 ft. Not good. I hope the nephew recovers & Mr. Pioneer Woman too. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure hope Ree's husband and nephew recover OK. It seemed like a bad accident. Know the feeling of just wanting to go "somewhere". Ah would that be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't hear the news of the Pioneer woman and the accident. I guess I'm behind in the news. I'd love to get away too, but really there is no place to go. I need a break away from this house. But like you say we really do have all we need right here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope both of them heal well and will wear their seat belts next time. They really do save lives. I want to go somewhere too. I especially want to see my daughters and my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any farmer or rancher uses a seat belt when they are on their own land. That doesn't mean they shouldn't , but they are used to hopping on huge tractors and not using seat belts. Lad is doing pretty well, but I am concerned about the nephew, who was thrown 70 feet from his vehicle while he was firefighting.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you! I love road trips and am itching to go somewhere! We are taking a short road trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in mid May but that's about it! I did not know about Ree Drummond's husband. I hope he heals well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking that April will be a good month for some day trips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you discover a good trip to take.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!