Sunday, March 21, 2021

Gardening

We've had lots of rainy days in the past several days, but not lots of rain.  Even though it was cloudy and damp for about five straight days, the precipitation was about 2 3/4 inches of rain, over the whole week or more.  But because it came so slowly, every precious drop of it went down, down, down in the soil, where it was sorely needed.  And only two days after the last rainy day, I tilled the garden.  There was a time when we had clay soil; you don't dare till clay dirt until it has time to dry out:  Till it when it's too wet and you'll have the biggest, hardest clods you've ever seen!  Here on this river-bluff hill where we live now, we have wind-blown, sandy soil that built this hill.  It dries out fast.

A few days ago I planted some radishes and beets.  I wanted to get some seeds planted so I could watch something grow.  No matter what happens, the radishes will be fine.  I'll admit I'm a little early on the beets, but they can handle some cold.  I also planted some peas, the kind that you eat pod and all, and some onion sets.  Today I'll add a row of spinach.  

Oh yes, I am grooming two cabbages for my early garden.  The other peat pots have two sweet pepper plants and one eggplant, which I just started yesterday.  They can't go outside until late April, unless I want to think about covering them when there's a risk of frost..


 I love tilling the garden.  People seem to think that's hard work, but other than turning it around at the end of a row, it's child's play.  It propels itself forward, so all I have to do it guide it.

It's a long, narrow garden.  I may not use all of it.   

The next two pictures were taken during my 20-minute walk yesterday.  Each of the pictures is showing where we used to walk every day.  There are four different paths to our old walking path; here you see two of them.  I just choose a different one every day now that I can't walk as fast or as long as I used to.





The pussy willow is awake.

Every picture gives me hope.  I'm going to go out and plant some spinach seed today at some point.  



2 comments:

  1. Rushing the season i little aren't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are planting a lot and seem to have 10X the energy I do. I may plant some tomatoes later. I haven't decided yet.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!