Sunday, March 14, 2021

March always plays with my moods

Margie said my font has been so small she barely sees it.  Have any others of you had this trouble?  I've made it bold, thinking maybe that would help.  

We had three or four days last week when the temperature climbed past 70, and it was glorious.  Cliff plowed my garden, I ran the tiller over the clods, and then poked a few radish seeds in the ground.  I'm going to start some cabbage plants in the house in peat pots, just to have something in the house to remind me spring is almost here officially.  I rejoice at the thought of spring!

And yet, after a series of lovely, although very windy, days, the sky has been cloudy.  Every day rain is predicted; every day we get a few sprinkles, never more than 1/4 inch in 24 hours.  I don't do well during cloudy times, so I've taken to watching Netflix, even during the day.  For some reason I can't get interested in reading right now.  It seems we are watching a lot of shows from Great Britain; that's quite a switch for me.  I used to avoid British-made shows.  I could never get used to the accents, and struggled to understand the lingo.  However, Cliff has used closed captions for many years, so that helps the issue.  Right now we're watching "The Last Kingdom", which takes place in 800 AD in what was becoming England.  This show sends me to the Internet often to read about the Danes living in Britain, so I am learning some history, for what that's worth.  Before that, we watched Poldark, which I believe begins around 1200 AD.  On Sunday nights we watch PBS for "Call the Midwife" and "All Creatures Great and Small".  Oh, and yesterday, we started watching "The Crown".  I've always said I don't give two hoots about what happens with the royals in England, yet here I am, watching their shows and googling their history.

Cloudy days make me watch TV, which numbs me further.  It will pass.

Cliff talked to his oldest sister yesterday; she told him one of her granddaughters has already gotten the stimulus money allotted to her children... quite a significant amount, because more children, more money.  I can't believe they received it so fast.  And how did they receive it when banks don't add money to our accounts during the weekend?  Cliff used to put his phone on speaker, and I could hear their whole conversation.  Now I only hear his side of conversations; the other person's voice goes straight to his hearing aids, via bluetooth.  I guess I could call his sister myself with my questions, but let's face it:  It's a nosy question I have no business asking.  Yes, dear readers.  I am nosy. 

I have decided I need to stay out of the genealogy game.  Wikitree keeps telling my my dad's first wife could not have given birth to my half-sister because she was only 14.  I'll bet back in the 1920's, there were plenty of shotgun weddings involving fourteen-year-old girls, and younger.  I can get on my computer and access Ancestry through the public library, but it isn't the full version.  Plus the fact I'll probably mess things up if I  keep going with this family tree stuff.

I haven't set any clocks forward yet, and that is likely to cause me to be late to church.  Will I remember to spring forward in time?  Only the shadow knows.

This whole page of blather you just read, if you made it this far, is brought to you by my clouded, dreary mind.  The old motto, "Do something, lest ye do nothing", is appropriate:  It's what I do when I'm stumped and can't think of anything to write.

Have a nice Sunday.

The Rainy Day, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The day is cold, and dark, and dreary
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
The vine still clings to the mouldering wall,
But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
And the day is dark and dreary.

My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
My thoughts still cling to the mouldering Past,
But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast,
And the days are dark and dreary.

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.



9 comments:

  1. Your font is so small I have trouble reading your blog, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never have trouble reading your blog or your font. I love those Brit shows, although I haven't gotten into the Crown. I generally stick with the mysteries though. Is there a new season of Call the Midwife?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that poem, Donna! And my motto in this "season of COVID" has been... do what it takes to make it through. If watching tv helps on the gloomy days, then you go for it, honey! And don't feel one bit bad about it! I don't blame you for not wanting to look into your ancestry any further. I don't do much of that either. "Let sleeping dogs lay" is what my mother always used to say. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try family https://www.familysearch.org/en/ it's free and very comprehensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the poem. I can see your font but noticed I do make it larger as I am in iPad. Maybe what device you view it on makes a difference.

    My great grandmother married at 13. Her neighbor, Solan Gaddy, lost his wife and young child in a storm. A timber fell from top of cabin and crushed her and baby in bed with him. They had an older son...maybe 2 or 3. Martha’s father had a houseful of girls and I bet he “gave away” this one. Sounds sort of sad. They stayed married rest of lives. She had a child at 16. Ha. This is a story you probably just as soon not hear.

    Dreary to here. Makes me feel down. Grass is turning green tho.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother and sister in law received their stimulus check yesterday (Sunday). I thought it was strange they had it in their account then, but who knows.
    I watch to much tv but mine is mostly HGTV and the Cooking Channel for all the baking shows
    My brother takes some type of medication for his SAD in the Winter, maybe check into that next year since SPRING is coming! Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!