Wednesday, March 17, 2021

I have never tried thai food

Today we'll go to Buckner to the bank.  It's Cliff's payday, and we need some cash for the next month.  Also, I need to go get my prize at the library:  Mid-continent Public Library had a winter reading challenge; all I had to do was read five books in six weeks, and I get a free cup.  The library wanted us to read more books about Missouri, or written by Missouri authors, although we didn't have to stick with that.  I read a Bill Geist book about his working as a teenager for an uncle at "Lake of the Ozarks"; "The Virgin of the Small Plains", set in Kansas but mentions Kansas City;  "You've Been Volunteered",  by Laurie Gelman: a funny little book about a mother who does her duty at her children's school; and "The Weight of Blood" by Laura Mchugh, a Missouri native.  The fifth book on my list, "The Lying Game", had nothing to do with our fine state, but it's the book I was halfway through when I decided to take the challenge and get a free coffee mug.


They do this challenge every year, January to March.  I'll gladly do it again.  I have not been in the best of spirits, and this actually challenged me to read, whether I wanted to or not.  My very favorite was the Bill Geist book, because I laughed a lot while reading it, and so did Cliff, after I introduced him to it.

We haven't gotten our stimulus funds yet.  I was writing out a check for our propane bill; we had our tank filled at the house, and also the one behind the shop, and because of the recent frigid temperatures, of course the prices went sky high.  So I had two separate bills to pay.  I wrote a check for the largest amount, the house propane, and slipped a note in with it:  "I'll be sending the rest of what we owe as soon as we get our stimulus money."

Now, the lady who handles all the billing is, I believe, the wife of the owner of the business, and she has no sense of humor.  So I can imagine what's going through her head, although we always pay our bills in a timely manner.  But I had a good laugh about it, and so did Cliff.  And yes, what I said in the note was true; I only wrote it because I knew she would take it in a negative way and would probably be thinking they wouldn't get paid for six months.  I know, I'm awful.  But I'm sitting here smiling.

"But Donna, this has nothing to do with Thai food."  

Yes, I know.  I put the title there not realizing I'd be blogging about books.  But I'll address Thai food now:  I've always wanted to try it.  I saw someone mention it on a blog and was reminded, yet again, that I have never had the opportunity.  I figured Thai restaurants were rare; I've never noticed them anywhere.  But there is one in Blue Springs with great ratings, and Cliff has agreed to take me there soon.  We could go today, but I have my Irish meal ready to cook:  Corned beef and cabbage, another thing I've never tried before; I'll make it in the instant pot.  I like most foods, really; I just don't get out much.  I was in my 40's before I ever ate in a Chinese restaurant.  

And that's the way it is on another thundery, rainy, dark morning that will morph into a good day... because it's payday!


13 comments:

  1. I've never had Thai food either. I don't know where we have it offered either. I have seen a lot of recipes to try, but not having had it I'm dubious t try them. I hope to widened my food tastes though and sooner or later will do it. Glad you got a mug! It's easy for me to ready 5 books, Probably read 5hat many in one week, let alone a month. Trouble is I don't get much else done, and I really need to do the other things instead of reading all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a book every day and have for all the months I am stuck in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Thai food and have eaten a lot of it. However, I got spoiled by visiting Phuket and having the authentic stuff. It can be spicy and there is a lot of variety, so you will like it/dislike it depending on what you order. Pad Thai is a usual starting place for many people, but I also enjoy the dishes with more vegetables in them. Our local Thai restaurants were great places for family get togethers since Thai food can be easily vegetarian or vegan. My older daughter was a vegan for a number of years and is now vegetarian. Yet there is also plenty of meat for other diners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me neither on Thai food so let us know how it goes. Congrats on the mug and you have talked me into the Bill Geist book. Can always use a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas Patti, there is an Arkansas author who wrote a book I absolutely love: The Accidental Salvation of Gracie Lee, by Talya Tate Boerner. It's a coming-of-age book.

      Delete
  5. I’ve read the book abt Lake of the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cliff liked it so well, he just read another Bill Geist book. He reads when he's on the exercise bike, and it tickles me to hear him laughing out loud as he pedals and reads.

      Delete
  6. I had to chuckle, Donna, as my hubby just got back from the bank withdrawing his usual monthly $300, as it was payday for him today too. :-) Between both of us he carries the cash so most of that will be divided between some groceries and gas for the car and whatnot. Congratulations on your mug winning. It's always nice to get something for free. I can only IMAGINE what your propane bill is... egads! We haven't gotten our stimulus check either. I don't know how much it's going to be for either. Some places say $1,400 per couple and some places say $1,400 per person, with a dependent child (even if an adult) getting their $1,400 too. We'll have to wait and see. I hope Americans don't get too dependent on this "free money" from the government. The well has GOT to run dry at some point. I feel so badly for future generations who are going to have to pay this debt off. Borrowing money and not hardly being able to even make the interest payments sounds like a very BAD-BAD-BAD fiscal decision to me. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The now single grandson got his stimulus funds last weekend, and it was $1,400. And he makes a pretty good amount of money at his job, so I have no doubt we'll get that amount for each of us.

      Delete
  7. We love Thai food. A good Thai restaurant will have "heat levels" that allow you to choose how spicy hot you want the meal to be. I remember watching Bill Geist on the Sunday Morning news program and he was always so funny. My favorite I think was the "Christmas wreath" inspired by Martha Stewart made out of beer cans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some heat, but not so much as to be painful. I'll make sure and ask about the heat levels before I order. My husband can stand a ridiculous amount of hotness in his food.

      Delete
  8. That's funny. I was waiting for something about Thai food. We need to take a trip to the bank too.
    I remember one time biting into something red in a coconut soup at a Thai restaurant and thought I was going to pass out from the heat. It was a hot, hot pepper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall beware of small, red pieces of stuff in my soup!

      Delete

I love comments!