Thursday, March 25, 2021

Just ramblings

This is the theme song of a funny show we're watching on netflix Amazon; I think it's going to become my personal theme song. It makes me happy.  If you're wondering who the people are in the video, they are the stars of the show, "New Tricks".  The song was written by one of them, Dennis Waterman.  Don't be surprised that it's another British show.  My DNA is over 90% British.   


We had Thai food yesterday for the first time and enjoyed it.  It's in Blue Springs, 25 miles away, so I also got some groceries at Aldi; that's closest one from our house.  I hate to make a dead-end trip if we can't do two or three things to justify it.  

This is my spicy Jalapeño beef and pad Thai

Here's Cliff's plate.  He had pad Thai and cashew chicken.  We got different things so we could try one another's food.  The lunch menu was reasonably priced, even for us cheapskates.

I cannot believe how fast time flies every day.  I would have guessed old people would be bored, and time would drag.  I don't do a lot around the house except cook and clean up the mess afterward, but I still seem to always be doing something that cuts into my playtime.  This morning I was up around 4 AM.  I always read my daily portion in the one-year Bible, and now I summarize what I read in a notebook just so I'll have my left-hand-writing practice every day.  That takes some time, but I still enjoy my Bible.  I  eat my breakfast by 5 AM because I'm hungry.  I often make grits and put them in the refrigerator to heat up later, so I might have a small bowl of that.  I like cereal pretty well too, and will eat that occasionally.  Sometimes I just eat enough to satisfy me until I wake Cliff up at seven, then eat with him.  Of course, since I take omeprazole first thing out of bed, I must eat something within 15 or 20 minutes; usually I grab a couple of saltines for my "something".  The nurse-practictitoner insists that's how it needs to be taken.  If I get up and feel any faint burning in my esophagus, I take two.  That happens about once a week.  I have learned to pay attention to my stomach!  

I'm still reading about King Alfred the Great; he had stomach troubles that plagued him all his life.  Experts today think he had Crohn's disease.  The pain was so terrible that even when it wasn't hurting him, he lived in dread that it could hit him at any time.  I know that dread, although thank the Good Lord I do not have anything as bad as Crohn's.  I worked with a lady whose husband had Crohn's; it's an awful affliction.

I got Cliff fed and coffee'd up, washed dishes, made up my mind what we'll have for dinner, cleaned the top of the kitchen range I love so well.  I didn't think I liked the black top of it, but that is the easiest-cleaning stovetop I've ever had.  I had sort of ignored it for a couple of days, but I cleaned it up this morning.

Don't look too close though, because I still have to clean off the front around the knobs.  That's bread pudding sitting there for dessert later.  I tasted it and left the teaspoon in the corner, thinking Cliff might want a bite for a preview, but he is waiting until he can have a whole (small) serving.  I had some stale hamburger buns, but I also had to use two slices of bread to make four cups.  I don't make this dessert very often.

It's about time to get dinner started now, so I'll get busy.  It seems to take me longer to prepare meals than it used to.

Here's something I read in Proverbs yesterday:  "Your kindness will reward you, but your cruelty will destroy you."  Proverbs 11:17, New Living Translation



8 comments:

  1. New Tricks is one of our favorites. I think we watched it on Acorn TV. We liked the "old" cast somewhat better than the "new" cast but still excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read yesterday that once the old-timers started leaving, the show wasn't as good. We've decided we'll stop watching it when we get that far along.

      Delete
  2. Don't judge but we have a similar gas cooktop and I have yet to clean it. Every month or so, my mother-in-law, bless her heart, will feel the urge and spend a morning cleaning it. That and washing clothes once a week makes up for having to live with her year round... almost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your stove. No wonder your food is so good. I think I can’t cook ‘cause my stove is icky...and dirty. I am so lazy. Also love the Proverb verse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed many seasons of New Tricks. I especially liked quirky Brian! Glad you enjoyed the Thai food. I love the variety of it although I can't always handle the spices very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so fortunate to still have Cliff. I still miss my Bob and it's been nearly 11 years since he died. It will be 11 years in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think about that often. Many women my age have lost a spouse. Either of us could die at anytime, and Cliff always thinks he will die before I do, since he's always been overweight; that's how he wants it to happen. He should know by now that humans die at all ages, all the time... he lost a 2 1/2 year old sister, for pete's sake... but he firmly keeps his head in the sand.

      Delete
  6. I do love bread pudding and think it might just be perfect for breakfast. It does seem like I also spend a lot of time cooking and then cleaning up the kitchen too. I love to cook but don't like the cleaning up afterward.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!