Friday, November 06, 2020

Who's the President?

I remember when George W. was elected president: we waited for a few (a couple?) days to find out for sure who won.  Remember the mystery of the hanging chads?  Before that, I remember reading the story about our Missouri home-boy, Harry Truman, was thought to have lost.  In the his Library you can see a picture of him holding the Chicago Daily Tribune declaring "Dewey Defeats Truman".  Well, this may be the closest election yet.  I don't have a horse in this race, really, because I don't like either candidate.  Oh, I voted... but it's like most of the past elections:  Choose the candidate you hate the least.  Thank goodness it will soon be over, no matter how it turns out.  Bah, humbug.

Cliff now has enough funds in his tractor account to buy either of the tractors pictured in my previous blog entry; However, we are looking around for a used Kubota or John Deere less than ten years old, and a little larger than those we looked at.  As for the cute John-Deere-with-a-cab he sat in, it is about the same horsepower as the 17-year-old John Deere we already have; he wants the next size bigger.  That little cab is somewhat crowded, too, for a big man; my husband is afraid that might be a problem if he spends any length of time in it, which he would hope to do.  The Kubota without a cab is the best buy, but we do want a cab.  

One problem with buying a tractor now is that new ones are in short supply due to the pandemic.  The dealers whose lots were previously full of tractors now have very little to choose from.  And really, we'd rather find a gently-used tractor anyway.  Here's the problem:  We have found several used John Deeres the size of Cliff's present tractor for sale, many of them with cabs... but for the reasons I already listed, we want the next size up.  Apparently a lot of people bought that small model and found it not big enough, because many of those are for sale, used.  We will wait and scour the Internet for a tractor the next size larger; we are leaning toward Kubota.  While we wait, Cliff may sell something else and collect more funds; he's out of tractors to sell, but he's always selling something farm-related.  Whatever happens, we don't want to buy in haste and repent at leisure.

That's the trucker who came to haul the 1855 to her new home in North Dakota.

She's going for her last ride



Goodbye, Big Ollie.  Safe travels.

4 comments:

  1. It will be good to have this election done and over. At least the ads in the mail have stopped. You might as well take your time on the tractor, you don't have to hurry since there is no immediate need. Better have what you want than not.Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready for the election to be done so I can stop chewing on my cuticles. I wish that could be the end of it, but I have my doubts. I would definitely wait to get exactly what you want. That adage has stuck around for a long time because it's very true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww.... there goes Ollie. God bless her in her new home!! I wish you good luck in finding another. There's one out there, waiting patiently to be chosen. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take your time with tractor and you will find the perfect. Larry thought the fun was looking for the perfect one.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!