Friday, August 17, 2007

On today's ride

An ocean of soybean plants.

That may look like a full moon, but it's the sun behind a cloud-cover.

And the sun is getting brighter!

I always end up breaking cobwebs here. Nobody lives on this section of the road leading to the river bottoms, and even if a vehicle comes through, it isn't tall enough to get the pesky webs that hit me right in the face.

Two German Shepherds live here, but only one leaves the yard. This guy acts vicious, but if I point at him and shout, he gets back. Or even if I just stop near him.

This is a sample of Missouri marijuana that grows wild along the roadsides. Before the Civil War, hemp was raised to make rope: A Civil War skirmish at Lexington was called "Battle of the Hemp Bales".

I assume this wild stuff descends from the old hemp used for rope. I've been told it isn't of good enough quality for smoking. I know that Blue, who will eat almost any variety of weed, grass, or tree-limb, won't even taste it. That's probably a good thing!

A few other pictures of my morning ride HERE.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if you want to edit, but here is a link about the battle, including the hemp bales.

    http://www.historiclexington.com/battle.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about the marijuana, expecially that the horse won't even taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horses have more sense then a lot of people I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Marijuana is a good outlet for nothingness. Expect less of yourself and weed will get you what you want... Weed is not meant for horses to eat. I have never seen a horse be clinically depressed, have glaucoma, or even suffer from post traumatic stress... However, if a horse made his/her meal out of marijuana would you send him/her to drug treatment or let them graze... I am a grazer myself.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!