Saturday, February 17, 2024

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Let's start with the bad, which is also ugly:  The shootings at the Chiefs' celebration parade and party. 

I don't have anything to add to what the news has told you.  This happened forty miles away from my home, so it has definitely been on my mind.  A couple of hours after it happened, I heard the Kansas City police chief say, "This isn't Kansas City."

Really?  2023 was the deadliest year ever for homicides in Kansas City; 285 people were killed in the Kansas City streets and homes last year.  It's no better and no worse than any other big cities in the United States.  

Here's one little plus, as far as I'm concerned, from the Kansas City Star:    "Missouri House Republicans have scrapped two gun-related bills this year following the mass shooting at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl victory rally. House Majority Leader Jonathan Patterson, a Lee’s Summit Republican, told The Star on Friday that House Republicans this year would no longer pursue the two bills. One would allow guns on public transit and inside churches and the other would exempt firearms and ammunition from sales taxes."  

Also:  Taylor Swift donated $100,000 to the family of the woman who was killed.  

That's all I have to say about that, but this year's Valentine's Day will always bring bad memories.

And now, the good.  Something wonderful has happened in my neighborhood that I didn't expect to see in my lifetime:  As of yesterday, we have Spectrum fiber-optic Internet.  That three-minute video I put on Youtube yesterday uploaded in 90 seconds!  The best news is that we'll be saving a nice chunk of money while getting 10 times the speed.  We've had Nexus for a year or two; it comes to us through the air from two miles away and has served our needs very well.  However, we've been paying $80 a month for 30 MBPS, which is the only reason I decided to switch.  We are now getting 300 MBPS for $40 monthly, for two years.  Then it goes up to $70, which is still cheaper.  We'll also be leaving T-Mobile and using Spectrum for our cell phones:  one phone will be free for a year while we'll pay $30 for the other; then we'll pay $60 for the two.  Our phone bills have been almost a hundred bucks a month with T-Mobile, so we'll still be saving money.  For any neighbors in and around my little town, call Spectrum and get a bargain!  


Yesterday it snowed.


We've been having high temperatures in the fifties and sixties, but when I got up this morning, it was 10°.  Wednesday it's headed for 68°.  I am still wishing for rain, or even more snow. to help this thirsty ground in Missouri.

That's it for today.  Peace.

6 comments:

  1. For never listening to any Taylor Swift songs, the tales of her charity are turning me into a Swiftie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although not a fan of her music, I admire TS's charity and character. What a terrible end to a successful season for KC! The gun violence everywhere makes me extremely sad (and scared).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope my Sister gets internet service some day. Nothing is available. What she uses is slow and expensive. Maybe before she dies…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got a better deal. I'm pleased with Taylor Swift's, the Mahomes, and Travis Kelce's donations to various family's GoFundMe pages. The horror and stupidity caused a gut punch just like the OKC Bombing. We probably need gated, metal detecting security entrances with no backpacks. Yep, the high gun violence in KC is nothing new. Too many loose laws and lack of them due to useless politicians. Linda on the Kansas side of the metro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only option we have here is Breezeline. We over a hundred a month just for that. I keep hoping spectrum would stretch out this way, but no such luck. Not yet, anyway. When we move to our new house, we'll have to either get starlink, or use a hotspot. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!