Monday, February 05, 2024

Sunday Stealing

1. What three words best describe you?  lazy, self centered, and too old to change.  Sorry, that's more than three words.  Also, I've never followed directions very well.

2. What makes you unique?  Everything about me

3. Who is someone important in your life?  my husband

4. What is something that always makes you laugh?  my husband, my dog, and the cat

5. Who is someone who can always cheer you up?  My husband, my dog, and my cat

6. When was a time you were really proud of yourself?  Times when I sing a song I've written and see people's faces who are obviously moved by it.

7. What is something that is difficult for you?  Saying the right things to people.

8. What three places would you love to travel to?  I have little desire to travel any more.  I'd like to go to Nashville, but the traffic is so bad there and my husband would do nothing but worry.  A bus that would take us around town might fix that, if there is such a thing.

9. What is a fun memory you have with your best friend?  My husband is my best friend, and I have lots of fun memories of our motorcycle rides.  Those were the most "together" times we ever spent.  Obviously we are together all the time now, but both of us were having fun at the same time then.

10. If you could have dessert for breakfast, what would you eat?  Any sweet at all.  I've often had pie or cookies for breakfast.

11. If you published a book or wrote a movie, what would it be about?  I am incapable of writing a story about people who don't exist, so I guess it would be an autobiography... a very boring one, most likely.  That's what my blog is.

12. Which is easier, math or English?  ENGLISH!!!!!!

13.What three things make you the happiest?  Cooking, gardening, and walks in the woods and too many other things to count.

14. What is an event in your life that has shaped who you are today?  When I was maybe eight years old, my Sunday School teacher invited several of us to her house for Sunday dinner after church.  I rode to their house in their car, and we arrived before anyone else was there.  Before she went to the kitchen, she got a guitar out its case and played one song:  "There was an old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly".  I begged her to sing more, but people were arriving and she had to tend to dinner.  It was the very first time I realized that someone I knew could play a guitar and sing; I never forgot it.  I'm not sure I would ever have wanted a guitar had I not had that experience.  When I was 19 or so trying to make up songs, I realized I needed something to help me figure out new tunes, it seemed like if I strummed chords, it would help me with a tune.  I've never gotten good at it, nor have I tried; I can't play a song on it, I can only chord, and even that isn't done well.  All I wanted was something to help me when I made up a song.  

That lady's name was Lois Percell, and several years ago one of her daughters sent me a video of her singing several folk-type songs.  If you like, you can hear her sing... click HERE.  

15. Which is more important, being kind or being honest?  Usually being kind, I suppose.  But there are certain situations when honesty is needed most.  I am seldom as kind to people as I should be. 


4 comments:

  1. Kindness versus honesty--that's a tough one. I agree that it depends on the circumstances. I think you're very hard on yourself, Donna. You seem intelligent, practical and caring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best friend is my husband, too. Everytime I see that someone I know has lost theirs, it makes me so incredibly sad to imagine the emptiness. Sometimes honesty is not kind at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most mornings when I wake up, the first thing I do is thank God my husband is still with me.

      Delete
  3. You know what I love about you? Your ability to look at yourself with a clear, unflinching eye. I love the kindness/honesty question. I have always thought that kindness trumps all. I know a woman who says horribly unkind things and then brays, "Hey, I can't help it. I'm just being honest!" as if it is an attribute. To my thinking, she wields honesty like a club. If you are kind, you will always behave with an eye towards doing right by others. You will be honest because sometimes the other person needs that honesty. But it will be presented within a lovely wrapping of kindness.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!