Friday, February 09, 2024

What a perfect day I had

I'm not sleeping well at all lately, but yesterday was a good day in spite of that.  I did some reading:  I don't think everybody would like the Shayne Parkinson book series I'm into right now, but I'm going to be very sad when I get to the last book of the series.  I'm on the third book, but there are still more.  It covers members of a farming family in New Zealand for many years, over several generations.  

I carefully got on the recumbent bike and slowly rode for half an hour.  My knees weren't hurting at all when I was done.  The temperatures were warm outside, although there was a really brisk wind.  So Gabe and I out for some sunshine.  My knees still didn't hurt significantly, so instead of just sitting in the sun, I thought I'd try taking a walk.  Gabe has been a naughty boy lately; he's decided he's going to go where he wants to and turn a deaf ear to me calling him back, so I had Cliff put batteries in the shock collar to give him a little reminder of who is the boss.  I only shocked him once, at the first part of our walk.  He started running toward the ditch where he's been finding tasty, rotten things to eat.  That time I just used the buzzer button when he ignored me, but he did come back when he felt it.  Later on he was headed in the direction of the adjoining neighbor's property and ignored me again; that time he got a shock.  I had a decent little walk, except it felt like the wind would blow me away.

After our noon meal, I kept thinking about the garden.  The soil was damp and the day was bright, and I was wishing I could do something in the garden.  I asked Cliff where he put the tiller for the winter and he said, "It's in the garage.  Want me to get it out?"

Of course!

I had three types of the seeds one can safely plant in February in Missouri:  Spinach, peas, and parsnips.  I'm not a big fan of leaf lettuce, but now I'm regretting not buying lettuce seeds, because that would be the first thing that would be ready to eat!  Maybe Walmart will have some.  

I tilled a patch of soil and planted what I had.  The wind would have blown away a lot of the parsnip seeds, because they weigh almost nothing.  However, when I hoed the row for them I put water in the bottom of the row and that sort of made those little seeds stick until I got them covered.

After all of that, my knees still didn't hurt much, and I hadn't taken so much as an aspirin all day.

We had not even started watching any of our evening TV shows when our daughter showed up on her way home from work.  She and her husband only live two miles away, but she works a lot of hours at her job, so when they show up, we are very happy to see them.  Rachel and Kevin are very good to us, bringing us little presents for no reason every now and then.  We had the best visit ever; they left us feeling very blessed.  The grandson came over intending to join us, but he was too late.  They had already left.  But we had another good time visiting with him.  

Days don't get any better than that.

8 comments:

  1. Gardening is good exercise. I’m clearing the sides of my little lane to my house. I’m doing little each day—like 8 feet. If I keep at it, I’ll be able to mow down the side of most of it. I’m using loppers and the push mower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent day, filled with everything you like and the absence of knee pain! It's way too early to plant anything here...I think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too early for those things. It can snow four feet on pea plants, lettuce, and spinach and they'll be fine. In fact, the lettuce I planted last September is still alive and edible. That's after having a bunch of days below zero.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you had such a great day, Donna. Wow! That's a huge garden and a lot of work. I've read that gardening is good exercise which is supposed to keep us healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way too soon up here too but the way it felt the last two days, it felt like late March and that I should be out in the garden doing something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knees! Oh those knees. I am trying to put off dealing with mine until after the house is done, but yesterday was so awful that for the first time, I was honestly certain that I wasn't going to make it. We've got so much going on financially with Tim's stuff that I hate to be adding more medical bills to the pile. I may have to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The knee that gives me the most pain is actually a knee replacement that was put in about 12 years ago, but the natural one is almost as bad.

      Delete

I love comments!