Monday, February 12, 2024

A picture of the library table

Sheila told me she wanted to see my mother's Library Table I talked about in the previous entry, so here it is.  I found this picture that I took when we were first moving into the trailer house.  I'm really glad, because right now it's pretty loaded and you couldn't see much of it.


Below is how it looks right now:  Welcome to my bedroom!  Yes, Cliff is still sleeping, at almost 8 o'clock; we had a hard night helping the Chiefs win the Super Bowl.  

My Bose and all our CDs are on it.  The afghan on the foot of the bed was made by my mother's sister, my Aunt Ruby.  It's been warming our feet for many winters, another object I treasure.


When I was small, my mom usually had framed pictures setting on the top, and also on the bottom shelf.  In Junior High, I used it for a desk in my bedroom.  I never knew my grandfather who made the thing.  He died six years before I was born.  I'm pretty sure he made one of those for all five of his children.

It isn't fancy at all, but it has served many purposes in my lifetime.  The drawer doesn't have runners, which makes it clumsy to pull out.  So you have to use both hands to keep it coming sometimes.

For me, it's all about the memories.



No runners.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:21 AM

    My maternal grandmother had a library table too. It was wider than the one you have, and it was very heavy. I saw it sitting in her living room. When they sold the house she lived in, I don't know what happened to it. It's wonderful that you still have the one of your mothers.Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know library table were a "thing" back then.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:51 AM

    It's beautiful. Treasures like that should be kept forever. Rebecca H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twice I nearly shut off the television and went to bed. But somehow I never quite managed too and I'm glad as it was a thrilling finish, at least for those of us here in the Midwest.

    Likely your grandfather rubbed a coat of wax on the wooden runner parts of the drawers that has long since worn off. If you have some time, pull the drawers out and rub some hard was on the parts inside the table and on the side of the drawer. I would be willing to bet that they will glide much easier again. A couple years ago, I brought up one of my mom's antique three drawer table she inherited from her great grandfather. It was the same way but I coated the parts with hard wax (like a candle) and they work easily even with all the stuff that now resides inside them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. There are NO runners. I'll put a couple pictures in this post at the bottom.

      Delete
  4. I thought it looked small but with the stuff on it, it's way bigger than I imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your table. My style. New style is painted stuff. I like to see wood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Thank you for sharing. I love things that have meaning to someone. I have one of my Dad’s pie safe type cabinets he made. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love furniture that comes with built in memories. PS: If I ever took a picture of Tim sleeping, he would wring my neck!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!