Thursday, July 13, 2023

Summertime, and the livin' is easy (NOT)

 We're having a heat wave, which isn't anything strange in Missouri in July.  It's funny, we always act as though it shouldn't be happening, knowing full well that it's the norm here.  It's clear that global warming is real:  icebergs are melting, lakes are disappearing.  But temperatures in the 90's are nothing new here.  I used to make fun of people who couldn't live without air conditioning, but over in our old house we finally got a small window unit so we could sleep better at night.  Once we moved to the trailer house, we had whole house air conditioning.

God bless the man who invented air conditioning.  

I'm in the same position as last year, dragging soaker hoses from one row to another.  Half the garden isn't planted because I can only handle so much, especially in this heat.  About this time last year, I swore I was going to cut down the size of the garden, and I have.  Oh, it's the same space, but there are plenty of spots where nothing is planted.  I swore I wouldn't deal with soaker hoses again, yet here I am, doing it.

Cliff is having more trouble breathing all the time.  He's now sleeping in the recliner all night.  If he gets up in the night or early morning and goes on to bed, he coughs constantly.  His last pulmonary doctor retired, but he does have an appointment with a new one in August.  He and I both know how the asthma journey goes ... his mother and aunt both suffered with it all their lives.  There's no cure.  

Thanks to our next-door grandson, Cliff is still messing with old tractors, letting Arick do all the hard work as he gives instruction from the sidelines.  Arick living next door has been a wonderful gift to my husband.  He also mows, weed-eats, and carries any heavy loads for him.  I don't know what we'd do without him.

For some reason I woke up thinking about one of my favorite folk songs this morning.  I love the words to it.

Someday we'll roll away the stone
That we have carried for so long
All our burdens will be gone
And I can't wait

We will find our way to
An understanding of all views
No prayer shall be refused
I can't wait

It seems we have gone too far
And now we don't know where we are
I believe we'll find a guiding star
But I can't wait

If faith is the final place
Where all fears have been erased
And the locks have fallen from the gates
I can't wait

Someday we'll roll away the stone
That we have carried for so long
All our burdens will be gone
And I can't wait

We will find our way to
An understanding of all views
No prayer shall be refused
And I can't wait

Written by Fats Kaplin, Kevin Welch, and Kieran Kane


11 comments:

  1. Sharron McKee6:17 AM

    I've never heard that pretty song. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Cliff can get some relief with the new doc. The daily Trelegy puff is really helping my asthma, besides my other meds for it. Can he get in sooner or on a waiting list? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that Cliff can get something that will help him. So many people have asthma that there must be some better/new treatments for it. Although I now have a heat pump, we're having the kind of summer where I could have done without. (for now anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've lived with whole house air conditioning for the last 34 years or so. Before that for a handful of years, it was in an old farmhouse with a single window airconditioner. The balance of a dozen years, were in the same farmhouse without airconditioning. I remember being warm at times in the summer but never unbearable. If I had to go without airconditioning now for a summer, I would probably declare it unbearable and get a motel room until things were fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:34 PM

    Donna, I’m glad you have your garden! I do miss having fresh vegetables that I could pick. I’m glad Cliff has a Dr appointment coming up! Gabby Gengler

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:03 PM

    I’m happy to read and hear that wonderful song. Yes it’s hot here - 106 so far and headed up. It happens every year. I pretty much stay inside.
    I’d love to have a garden but Las Vegas just isn’t the right place. I feel for Cliff with his asthma. I also have trouble breathing and use oxygen. Blessings to you both. Penny

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a pretty song. It's so hot and muggy here. If Cliff is on BP medication, you may want to Google it and see if it causes asthma symptoms or cause asthma to get worse. I was on a BP medicine once that had me having to have breathing treatments and going to the ER. Thank goodness my Dr figured it out and took me off of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was Atenolol that made me have extreme Asthma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:19 PM

    I've never hears that song either! This is Margie from Margie's Musings..not Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very few folk singers and folk song-writers get a lot of publicity

      Delete
  10. Anonymous2:20 PM

    heard

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!