Sunday, July 16, 2023

How I end up spending so much time on the Internet

 Last time I was at Walmart, I went out and looked at the clearance plants; there weren't many to pick from, but there was a daisy marked down that looked healthy and happy for $3, so I grabbed it and took it home with me.


Today I posted some pictures of my various flowers on Facebook.  Here is how I captioned the picture:  "'Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you." 

Later, thinking about that song, I said to my husband, "I wonder when that song was written.  I'll bet it was before automobiles were in the picture."  Sure enough, I was right.  Not only did I find the age of the song, but I found an interesting story to boot!  I also learned the actual name of the song, "Daisy Bell".

"Daisy Bell (Bicycle Built for Two)" is a song written in 1892 by British songwriter Harry Dacre with the well-known chorus "Daisy, Daisy / Give me your answer, do. / I'm half crazy / all for the love of you", ending with the words "a bicycle built for two". The song is said to have been inspired by Daisy Greville, Countess of Warwick, one of the many mistresses of King Edward VII.

When Dacre, an English popular composer, first came to the United States, he brought with him a bicycle, for which he was charged import duty. His friend William Jerome, another songwriter, remarked lightly: "It's lucky you didn't bring a bicycle built for two, otherwise you'd have to pay double duty." Dacre was so taken with the phrase "bicycle built for two" that he soon used it in a song. That song, Daisy Bell, first became successful in a London music hall, in a performance by Katie LawrenceTony Pastor was the first to sing it in the United States. Its success in America began when Jennie Lindsay brought down the house with it at the Atlantic Gardens on the Bowery early in 1892.

The song was originally recorded and released by Dan W. Quinn in 1893.

I found this on Wikipedia HERE.



Now, if you aren't familiar with this song, I did a blog entry where I mentioned being in a school program: I pedaled my tricycle in a circle with a classmate riding on the back step of it.  This is the time I wrecked my trike, throwing us both to the floor.  I mentioned this (again this morning) to Cliff, and he laughed and said, "Even on a tricycle, you couldn't drive."

If you want to hear the 1892 version that wowed American audiences, 
you'll find it HERE

And now you know how easily I can get lost following an endless rabbit hole on the Internet.

4 comments:

  1. You AND me with the rabbit holes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember my granny liked
    that song. She would him and sing it. I played Nat King Cole video. Loved it! My mama loves most all his records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that! I sing that song to my dogs, they love it. Well, I used to. One of our campers had her camper catch fire in her absence. We managed to rescue the Yorkie, Piper who later became the mother of Mr. BoJangles. We could not, get her other two dogs out and one was named Daisy, a little Shitzu mix who was comfortable with me, but she either wouldn't or couldn't find her way to the door. The smoke got her, but we had to listen to the other burn. It was awful. They had to hold me back, but the tire was burning by the time we got to it and you couldn't see. I hope I am not depressing you!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!