Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Busy, but happy (and thankful)

Alright, boys and girls:  When do we plant our turnips?

25th of July, wet or dry!

When do we harvest our turnips?

25th of October, drunk or sober!

So, at 6:30 this morning, I planted a row of turnips.  Then I planted a row of carrots, although I have little faith they'll grow.  This will be the third time I've planted carrots this year.  But since I have plenty of idle places in my garden, why not try again?  Carrots don't like hot weather, and it's going to be in the nineties and even over one hundred for the next two weeks or so.  We had 6/10ths an inch of rain yesterday.  It's amazing how such a small amount of rain can perk up garden plants.  I've been putting quart freezer bags of tomatoes in the freezer.  I'm thinking about going ahead and using some of the garden tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce, although I won't put meat in it until I get it out of the freezer to use.  I find myself with more tomatoes than I can use.  Those two Red Deuce tomatoes are still giving me huge, tasteless tomatoes; but I found out they are just fine for spaghetti sauce.  The grandson and Alexandra were here Saturday for spaghetti, and everyone agreed the sauce tasted just like it always does.

These are the two Red Deuce tomato plants that really bear lots of big tomatoes but aren't that tasty.  They'll probably be gone in a couple weeks, because the leaves are very blighty.  But I'm freezing them as they get ripe, so I won't have to buy canned tomatoes when I make chili.  All my frozen tomatoes from last year are gone.  There are plenty  of tasty tomatoes coming on now from the other plants, although some blight is on all of them.

I finally have okra, so I can make smothered okra again.  For a month or so, I was only bring in one or two lonely okras; by the time I had enough to make fried okra, the oldest ones left something to be desired.  I finally put the soaker hose on that row and they were happy enough to start doing their job.  They are still only about as high as my face.  Until the last few days, they were about to my chin, which made it hard to get all the okras because those broad leaves hide the product.  And of course, the leaves make me itch when I have to reach through the leaves from the top.  Picking tomatoes also leaves my arms itching, not to mention they put green slime on me so when I wash my hands and forearms with soap, the soap foams green as it comes off.  But tomatoes are worth it.

Cliff just headed out to keep an appointment with his new pulmonologist in Lees Summit.  I was going to go along, but I'm in the middle of cooking dinner.  The green beans I picked are done, because I thought I was going to go with him and wanted to be able to just warm them up when we got home.  But then I picked everything I needed for the smothered okra, started making it, and realized I had worked myself into a corner... so here I sit, wondering if I should go ahead and make some spaghetti sauce to put in the deep freeze.

I bought some plants labeled as bell peppers in the spring, but they are not!  The fruits are big and sort of pointy at the end.  They do taste like bell peppers, though, but they work well for stuffed peppers.  My daughter tells me they are poblano peppers.  They are a good substitute for green peppers in recipes, so I won't complain.  I have three or four bell pepper plants growing from seeds, and hopefully they'll be giving me something for bell peppers before it's too late.

I have dishes to wash, so I'm going to get busy.  

Here's my dog Gabe watching my husband eat.  He will watch in the same  position until the very last bite, every time.

Yes, the couch is a mess and everything is crooked.  Just like me!


8 comments:

  1. Poblanos are hard to differentiate from bell peppers when they are not fully ripe, taste wise and sometimes shape. But poblanos will get a much darker green than bell peppers when fully ripe and have a bit more spice to them. I like using poblanos for my salsa. They look like not yet fully ripe poblanos to me.

    We are thinking about tilling a new garden plot behind our house and planting daikon radish later this fall to poke deep holes into the dirt for moisture and inject a bit of organic matter in what will surely be poor looking, heavy on the clay soil. I thought about beets but I thought the daikon will maybe grow deeper. My hope is to till it all in next spring with some additional amendments and plant another root crop like potatoes until we can get more organics worked into the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about everything you're growing and how you preserve it. For just me, I gave up on gardening and I do miss the tomatoes. (although it sounds like homegrown varieties aren't always tasty!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Your living room looks welcoming and lived in, much like mine. I feel uncomfortable when I visit someone who goes for the showplace look. I am definitely not that type. I was given some homegrown tomatoes on Sunday and some of them aren't that great. For one thing they were pulled way too green, and here we've had the wettest July on record and I suspect that's watered down the taste somewhat. For whatever reason it won't let me comment with my Google account today, so this is Diane Jennings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several people who can no longer use their Google account here, even though they used to all the time.

      Delete
  4. Ah, I do love turnips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had deep fried okra in Oklahoma all the time. I haven't heard of smothered okra. I might need to try a plant or two in my garden next year. The WalMart wanted $4.90 for a little bag of yucky looking 7-8 pods! The "bell" peppers just look like they don't want to "ring" and just rest on their sides. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of southern fried okra when it's in season. Smothered okra is a healthier choice, and we like it a lot too.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2:21 AM

    I was so blessed to have a friend to send me some tomatoes from her garden and then, the same week, another friend blessed me with some yellow squash from her garden! This is Carlene/ Horseshoe Bend. Couldn't get my comment to post under Google.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!