Monday, July 10, 2023

Random

I have come to realize that mornings are my most anticipated occurrences.  Yes, it's come to that.  When I go to bed, I'm thinking about how quickly I'll be looking at the sunrise on the morrow... if I can only stay asleep all night, which I never do.  Lately I've been waking up at 2 A.M. every single day.  I force myself to stay in bed until 3, but then I get up.  

Years ago I tried melatonin.  It did nothing for me.  Over-the-counter sleeping pills work, but I won't use them more than once a week, and usually just take half of one.  I've had trouble staying asleep for at least 30 years, so I'm used to it.  It's one of those things I can't do anything about, so why fuss and complain?  Seeing the sun come up makes me happy, and I haven't missed many sunrises in those years.  Sometimes I read things on the Internet that tell me if I don't get eight hours of sleep, I'll get dementia, or my life will be cut short.  Well, I've read everything I've found about how to get enough sleep, but none of it works for me.  I know a lot of people are in that same boat with me, and we all seem to be able to drag ourselves out of bed and start doing what we must to make our way in the world.  

I've been going outside before the sun is fully up and then watching the day gradually brighten as I walk around the garden.  I'm particularly interested in the state of my butternut squashes.  By the way, I googled what the plural is for squashes.  It can either be squash or squashes, but the latter really seems awkward.  

The vines have flourished in the southwest corner of my garden, and there are some huge squashes well over a foot long and still growing; but I've only ever had a crop of them one time thirteen or so years ago.  The rest of the time, just as the vines start putting on fruits, squash bugs enter the scene and the vines are dead within a couple of days.  I did notice some vines dying recently, but most of the remaining vines seem fine.  I'm not counting on anything, though!  If it happens, it happens.

We are eating green beans now, and within a week it looks like we'll have all the tomatoes we can eat.

Last week was wonderful, with our son here from Georgia.  Our daughter lives nearby, and she and her husband ate several meals with us and spent time here off and on throughout the week.  Now it's just us.  Cora will be here tomorrow, though, for her every-other-week Tuesday visit.

I ponder on the fact that I'm 79 years old, and wonder if I'll make it to 80.  Wow, eighty sounds really old!  I'd better get back out to the garden while I can still walk.

9 comments:

  1. I think the plural of squash should be squishes. Glad you can enjoy sunrises. I'm not a morning person, so I enjoy sunsets. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always raise squash. We use Sevin dust to take care of the pests. The only natural way I’ve had success is raising then in a plot and let it go fallow for a year or two between planting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have been doing something wrong, because Seven dust is what I use. It could be that the bugs had done too much damage before I used it.

      Delete
  3. I can relate. I frequently wake up at 2 a.m. and sometimes I can fall back asleep until 4:30 or 5. If I wake up at 3 a.m. then I am usually awake. Richard frets that I am not getting enough sleep but it's not like I choose to wake up then. Our problem with squash is a fungus that causes them to rot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can usually fall back asleep when I wake up in the middle of the night. Crossing my fingers that it continues. Glad you got some special family time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suffer insomnia, too. In my younger days I would get up and clean house until I felt like I could sleep from fatigue. Sometimes it worked and sometimes not. These days I lay there and ponder things. Melatonin did nothing for me and OTC stuff is usually just Benadryl. That doesn't make me sleepy either. Finally I succumbed to HeWho's urgings and tried some edibles. Legal now, they come in various strengths and I have found that 15 mg makes my mind slow down and relaxes me enough to get at least 6 hours sleep every night. I never smoked cigarettes and though I tried smoking pot a few times but never got much out of it beyond the entertainment of watching my friends act goofy. I will continue to top my days off with the edible and enjoy the by-product of sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know about the edibles. They work. They also seem to make me stupid and I don't like being any stupider than I have to. Somehow they seem to affect my memory long after they are taken. Even my husband noticed it.

      Delete
  6. If I had to choose, I’d pick wakefulness over sleeping all night and day. Donna just think how lucky we are. We get to see what’s going on in the world. Some sleep 12 hours. Wow, what a boring life.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!