Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Still gardening

We've eaten enough ratatouille in the last three weeks to float a battleship.  There's always some of it in the refrigerator.  One reason for making it so often is this:  Those two tomato plants with the huge early tomatoes aren't so great.  They bear big fruit spectacularly, but the tomatoes are hard and tasteless, even when they're dead ripe, and they aren't juicy at all.  All the tomatoes seemed to come on at once, but the plants themselves never grew after a certain point.  I have never encountered such a tomato plant, and I hope not to again.  Anyhow, if I add water to the ratatouille to take the place of tomato juice, it's delicious.  As for my other, more normal, tomatoes... well, this is a strange year.  They were terribly late putting on tomatoes, and they see to be making more foliage than I've ever seen.  Perhaps that has something to do with the constant drought conditions.  We have had a couple of 1-inch rains lately, but could surely use more.

Monday and Tuesday I froze most of my first planting of sweet corn, sparing enough so we'd have some for the table right now.  There are five quarts of corn in the freezer, so I'll have some to take to my reunions in the crock pot.  The next planting of corn will be ready in a week or so; after that, the wait will be longer for more corn.  

Today we're having green beans from the first crop, and now it's time to pull up those plants.  Of course, the next planting will be ready soon.

We've been watching Quarterback on Netflix, since our Chiefs quarterback is one of the featured players.  Also on Netflix, The Lincoln Lawyer, based on a series of books that I've read a few of.  I was going to quit Netflix for awhile, but I couldn't resist seeing our quarterback on TV in the summer!  

That's really about all I have to talk about today, so I'll bid you adieu and be on my way. 

2 comments:

  1. We have a lot of green tomatoes on the vine but none that are ripe yet. That is fine with me as I'm still busy canning pickles right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to read abt what you are eating. Looked good.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!