Saturday, December 17, 2022

Sunday Stealing



Stolen from the League of Extraordinary Penpals




1. My plans for December 

I make very few plans at this point in my life.


2. How energized I feel at this point in the year

I haven't felt energized since I was 70.

 

3. The best things about the holiday season

The food

 

4. Something that changed my perspective on life

Some 35 years ago my husband was out of a job for quite a long time.  I had always written my monthly bills on the calendar for every week, with the amount due.  When he lost his job it didn't work out any more because the bills amounted to more than he made.  But somehow, with one thing and another coming along, we got by.  A local dairy farmer gave him occasional work and paid him with calves, which I raised to six or eight months old and then sold.  Our then daughter-in-law and two babies came to stay with us for several months and contributed a little money to the pot.  We finally went to our favorite banker and borrowed money to pay off all our bills so we'd just have one payment.  

I did my best to keep calm and positive because a man out of a job doesn't need any negativity, but as I told him, "Both our kids are on their own now, it's just you and me.  The worst thing that could happen is we lose our home, and as long as we have each other, we can handle that." 

That period of our lives brought us closer than we had ever been, and it's a time that I can look back on and realize it was good for us both..

 

 5. What I seem to get the most comments about

If this means blog comments, I seem to get the most comments on entries talking about our injuries or sickness... major sicknesses, that is.  I used to ride my horse around the countryside, and Cliff and I went for motorcycle rides; I had something to write about then, and got quite a few comments.  I like comments, but it doesn't bother me that I don't get a lot of them.  I don't comment on blogs a lot myself, although I love to read them.


6. The changes I’ve made to my style

What style??  I've never had much style.

 

7. What gets in the way of my success

Since I don't try anything difficult or outstanding, nothing gets in my way.  I consider it a success when I make a pie or cookies and they turn out well.  If I find an interesting book, I'm a success at choosing books.  My goals are simple and basic.

 

8. News sources I trust the most.

None of them since Walter Cronkite retired.

 

9. Fictional characters that would easily fit into my life

Andy Griffith and Barney Fife.  The family in Laura Ingalls Wilders books (not the tv show).  You know... country folks.

 

10. My relationship with spirituality

I've been up and down, wandered off and then back on the path.  But I have finally developed an abiding faith in God through Jesus.  My husband says it's just because I was raised that way.  All I know is that I am very much at peace these days, and I truly believe in God.

 

11. How I feel when I’m being retrospective

I love thinking about my childhood and remembering aunts, uncles, cousins, my grandmother... It was all so wonderful, and I didn't have a care.  It's calming to recall my childhood.

 

12. My thoughts on AI technology 

Ha.  I saw this and thought, "Why would anyone ask a question about artificial insemination."  I had Jersey cows around for over half of my married life, and we didn't keep a bull for them, we just called a man to come and inseminate them.  I don't know anything about AI technology, even though I looked it up on Google.


13. The odd/weird things I do when nobody else is around

Why wait till nobody's around?  I'm weird all the time.

 

14. What I do when I can’t sleep

I sleep pretty well these days, but if I wake up and can't go back to sleep I pray, simply by saying the names of those who come to mind.  I also like to go over Bible verses  I've learned, many of them words I learned as a child:  The Lord is my Shepherd, the beatitudes, verses from the Old and New Testament.

 

15. The winter/holiday season tasks I enjoy 

Cooking the things my mother used to make for the holidays, because it takes me back again to my childhood; every day my husband and I have been having a little piece of the fruitcake like my mother used to make...We don't do much about Christmas around here any more.


Thanks to Bev Sykes, who steals fun things on the Internet to keep us on our toes.  You'll find Sunday Stealing HERE.

8 comments:

  1. Cliff and you have a wonderful and complementary relationship. I'm not religious but I admire that you are without being preachy or judgmental.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to accept people as they are, because they have their own beliefs; I hope they do the same for me. I've seen that being preachy only turns people away, and makes one appear to have a "holier than thou" attitude. Besides, I am always willing to admit I could be wrong about my beliefs. That has made some Christians upset with me. I guess I'm not supposed to say that.

      Delete
  2. Mayberry, NC seems to be a lot of people's favorite place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I wake in the middle of along night, I pray for others like you. We can’t really appreciate having as much as if we’ve never “had not”. Without valleys the hills hold no splendor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of live in a town similar to Mayberry. It is small and peaceful. Not the same as Mayberry though. I wish it were still a simpler time.
    Amen to #8. I really do not watch much news.
    Yes, yes, yes to prayers on #14. When I can't sleep, I feel like it is often because I have not said my prayers yet. I say them and I can usually go to sleep. I forgot to mention that at my blog.
    It was nice visiting you today! Merry Christmas! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your answers. By the way, I've loved the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder ever since I was a child and I still treasure them. I hated the TV series. Did you ever see Laura's house in Mansfield, MO? I've been there numerous times (some day I'll write a blog post about it).

    (I'm one of the rare people who loves fruitcake!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to see her house in Mansfield; perhaps this coming spring, if we go to Branson.

      Delete
  6. I believe in God too but many people don't because they see no sign of his miracles and think he doesn't exist because of that.I believe God gave us each the ability to change our world and since he taught us how to care about one another, he expects us to be the ones who make those changes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!