Thursday, December 15, 2022

Ho hum

First of all, let me tell you that Cliff seems to be doing great.  After the day of his surgery, he hasn't been dizzy.  He's probably happy that he has a good excuse to take naps without me teasing him about it, since there's not really anything he can do right now.  He has some new parts for the big old White tractor, but I don't think he'll be able to do that for at least ten more days.  If fact, I've taken a few extra naps too!  The days are cloudy and cold, not very inspiring for much of anything.

It is hard waiting so long to find out how much good all this will do.  In most cases it does work; Cliff still has tinnitus, some days louder than others.  Of course it isn't a real sound; it's a fake sound caused by nerve damage, and nothing can be done about it.  Now that Cliff's "good ear" isn't hearing anything, he's found that when the tinnitus isn't too bad, he can hear a little out of the left ear if the hearing aid is in it.  Yesterday the tinnitus was terrible, today not so bad, so I can talk to him some, as long as he can see my face to read lips along with what he's hearing.  We're still watching TV together in the evenings; he's been using closed captions for at least 20 years, and that's how he keeps up with whatever's going on.

Scammers irritate me!  I'm answering Cliff's phone now, as well as my own, and he gets several scam calls every single day.  Most of them are from people with a Mexican accent wanting to know if we've gotten our new Medicare cards.  Surely by now, everybody knows this is a scam, and yet they keep calling again and again.

I just finished what I consider to be a really good book:  The Gods of Green County by Mary Elizabeth Pope.  It's fiction, and takes place in Arkansas back when cotton was still hand-picked.  It's sad, but I could hardly put it down. 

That's all I have today.  Let's all try to keep our spirits up on these gloomy, windy winter days.  

Peace.

5 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear that you're both doing well and adapting to this time of year--which is ho hum and kind of depressing. Good news about Cliff feeling decent! That's bound to even get better. My mom loves playing with the scammers and making them waste their time. It's her hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear about Cliff. I’m going to look for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are being a very patient nurse for Tom. Even my fully hearing grown son and his wife use the captions because there's so much whispering on TV and movies. His implant will most likely work to some degree, especially if he started at next to nothing. I find it almost entertaining to HEAR fire truck and ambulance sirens BEFORE I see them. That's something new for me. Baby steps. I had to tell my daughter-in-law to turn HER volume of speaking down, because she's made a point to speak louder for me for years. My son adapted real quick to not yelling at his mom! If the steri strips are loosening, it's ok to cut the detached frilly ends, but leave the part that's still stuck to his head. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that implant works well for him. I have him in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:26 AM

    I don’t know much about the implants. I do hope his hearing improves. The temperatures are below normal this time of year! Burr.. Keep cozy and warm. I need to look into at my local library about checking books online. So many utilize this service from their library. Gabrielle H Gengler

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!