Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Not everybody will have a merry Christmas

I'm not big on Christmas any more; it's a great time to be a child, but I just try not to be a grinch while waiting for it to be over.  I count my blessings daily, and my needs are met, but honestly, I could do without Christmas these days.  I know how lucky I am to have my husband with me at Christmas.  

Cliff has a cousin, Edna, that I've grown close to over the years.  She had to be put in a nursing home in the Ozarks due to covid, and came close to dying.  Her son Mike, who lives in Indiana, went to see her and wasn't happy with her level of care or her condition, so he loaded her up in his car and put her in a nice rest home near his home, visiting her every single day.  He got her a device that let her call me on Facebook Messenger, and for a while she'd call me every day.  She told me the same things each day, because she had some dementia, but I just let her talk.  I'm sure we talked half an hour or more, some days.

Meanwhile, Mike's oldest sister got Covid for the second time and was almost at death's door.  A relative in the Ozarks died (from covid), so he drove to the funeral to take his mother, who was doing much better at this point at the new facility.  While there, he visited his sister in the hospital, saw she wasn't doing well at all, and put her in the car and took her back home with him, to stay with him and his wife, Janice.

For the last month or so, Edna hadn't called me on Messenger.  I just assumed she had forgotten about me, and I hated to call her for fear the timing would be wrong.  It's a different time zone and I didn't want to call around meal time, bath time, and so forth.

I never knew Mike.  I met him as a child a some fifty years ago, and then once at an anniversary party for his parents; but I certainly didn't know him at all.  Now I've seen how he loves and helps his family, so I have a great respect for him.  I told him once on Messenger what a wonderful son and brother he is, and he replied, "Family is what it's all about." 

So imagine my sadness at his message to me this morning.  

Hi Donna. Hope Cliff is doing good with his hearing. Haven't given you an update lately. Mom's dementia has taken a nose dive. She was in the hospital for a couple weeks. She's back in the nursing home in physical, speech and occupational therapy. She is being very combative with the nurses. Janice and I were with her a couple days before she went to the hospital. I'll just say it was bad. If she doesn't do well by Wednesday they are going to get Hospice to come in and help to try to give her a little quality of life.  Same time Mom was in the hospital I tested positive. My wife had a heart attack and covid. She went in on the 22nd of Nov. She passed away this morning.  It's been a hard year.


I'm sure any prayers for this man would be appreciated.  He has been through so much pain and sorrow.


Count your blessings!

22 comments:

  1. My prayers are with Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in agreement with you about not caring much about Christmas anymore. The kids are grown and neither they nor the grandkids really need anything that I could pick out for Christmas presents. I had the granddaughters over to bake Christmas cookies and I think they enjoyed that more than opening packages. You're so right about counting your blessings. I had both knees replaced this year (at 63!) and I'm thankful every day that both surgeries went well and I'm walking pain-free. Merry Christmas to both you and Cliff. I have enjoyed your blog for years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:05 AM

    I go through the motions for the sake of the littles and enjoy seeing family....but , other than that...blech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy B.9:34 AM

    Oh my! Prayers for Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:52 AM

    Prayers for the whole family so sad that all that hit him at once. God be with him

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:22 PM

    Bless his heart. This always seems to happen to the nicest people. I'll add him to my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending prayers for the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May God bless Mike and his family. He's sure had it rough for a good while, and now he's lost his wife and companion. Prayers for strength and for God to comfort him and hold him near.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many of us have had tragedies happen in this month or even on Christmas eve itself so I deeply feel for Mike. Horrible loss and illnesses for his family. I do so hate Covid! I try to get in the spirit of the holiday but sometimes it's tough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers said for you and the entire family. What an honorable man to bring folks close to his home to watch over their care. I hope he can get good care for those he is overseeing. And some rest. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brenda6:51 PM

    I'm not looking forward to Christmas this year either. Lost my husband this year and things just aren't as good as they used to be. At first people were caring but that didn't last. I don't hear from them very often anymore.
    Sorry to hear about Edna and her family

    ReplyDelete
  12. Margie7:28 PM

    I pray that God will bless Mike and help him get through his grief!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Christmas. We have to remember it the birthday of the baby Jesus so many years ago that we are commemorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't actually His birthday, and He never told us to celebrate His birthday. But it's nice to have a time to think about his gift to the world.

      Delete
  14. I am praying for Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always depressed at Christmas. No sun. Cold. Dad had a nervous breakdown at Christmas when I was 11. One Christmas, Patsy’s husband got burned badly. She had 2 little boys, a burned husband, and no money. I try not to tell others abt my sadness at Christmas because they are so happy. Don’t want to poop on their party. Christmas seems to be abt stuff. Daddy said Jesus was born in warm season, summer, they know because of stars I think. Well, really, I forget. I feel I can tell you anything I want. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you google "depression at Christma", it's very common. One site I googled up said 64% of people! I think a lot of us try to hide it for the sake of others. Poor Patty had a hard life, didn't she? And yet, she was feisty to the end!

      Delete
    2. Pat had such a hard life, but at the end she said she was blessed.

      Delete
  16. Anonymous10:15 PM

    I'm Mike's sister who had covid and almost did yes mike is a very good man and I pray that he makes it through all of this OK and I'm home in Missouri now and wish that I was strong enough to go back and be with him of this time I loved my sistern law and I deeply miss her and I'm glad his daughter And stepson is with him to help him and I pray that they pimp through this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom loved Mike's wife too. She really bragged about how good Janice was to her. I'm sure glad he has somebody with him.

      Delete
  17. Oh my. This is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His mother, Edna, died Sunday morning. At this point it was for the best.

      Delete

I love comments!