Friday, December 23, 2022

It's in the oven

 I copied and pasted this from a post I did around Christmas, 2010, and thought I'd share it again.  First I'll tell you where the recipe came from.  

I used to read the Kansas City Star the way I read the Internet now.  I'd get down on the kitchen floor, open up the paper, and read everything of interest from front to back.  On one day of the week, I think Thursdays, there was a recipe column; anyone could contribute, and I've found a couple favorite recipes I still use, all these years later.  Whoever provided this recipe said they'd gotten it out of a Kansas City Chiefs recipe book bought in 1970, after winning the super bowl in 1969.  This pie was supposedly Buck Buchanan's favorite.  And now I'll paste what I wrote 12 years ago.  I imagine I've blogged about it more that once; sometimes if I mention a recipe, people will ask for it; so I'll compose an entry with the recipe for them.  That's a good thing, as it turns out, because the recipe card I glued the newspaper cutting onto has disappeared.  

I clipped this recipe from the Kansas City Star back around 1980; I didn't use it for several years, but oh my goodness, when I did, I thought I had discovered a taste of heaven.  
Buck Buchanan was one of the early Kansas City Chiefs, back before my husband even started watching football on TV.  He died a week before he was to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.    
This was, if I remember correctly, his mom's recipe.

BUCK BUCHANAN'S SWEET POTATO PIE
1 1/2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter,melted
1 1/3 cup sugar
3 T. Flour
2 large eggs
2/3 cup egg nog
1 Tablespoon whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 tsp. lemon extract (optional)
preheat oven to 375. Peel, cook and mash sweet potatoes, measure out 1 1/2 cups. Mix with remaining ingredients and
pour into pie shell, bake 45 minutes till knife inserted midway between the center and rim comes out clean.
for additional flavor interest, experiment with other extracts, coconut, orange or pineapple extract for lemon extract.

Buck Buchanan died some time ago.  When he was playing for the Chiefs, Cliff didn't care about football and never watched it, so he knew nothing about him.  I figured if I have been using his recipe freely all this time, I'd give him a little credit for his mama's cooking.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t believe you read the paper sitting in the floor. I used to do the same. Now, it’d be a miracle to get down and up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, but I was a young 24-year-old with a couple of babies. I can't even remember what it felt like to sit on the floor and read the paper.

      Delete
  3. It sounds yummy-does it taste like pumpkin pie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had sweet potato pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very similar to pumpkin pie, although this one has flavorings that make it a little different.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous2:08 PM

    Nice post thank you Paul

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!