Friday, December 09, 2022

Two meals a day

Cliff and I are now eating two meals daily:  Breakfast  at 5:30 A.M. for me, and 7:30 or so for him.  We have our other meal, which we call dinner, between one and two P.M.  We don't normally snack between meals, either; so if our dinner is over by 2 P.M., that's it until the next day.

If you'd told me I'd ever be eating in this pattern and not snacking in the evening, I'd have said you were lying.  But the thing is, we eat a lot of anything we want, at our meals.  I'm not even that hungry when I wake up the next morning!  However, it does cause a small problem:  if I have some leftovers, it's hard to crowd them in, especially considering some things aren't eaten at breakfast... or at least, they weren't until lately; and I hate to throw away good food.  But lately I have become a human garbage disposal!  This morning I ate the last of the cabbage and noodles (haluski) that I made three days ago; I also ate a small avocado and some gingerbread with whipped cream for my breakfast.  This isn't an every morning thing, it's just what needed to be dealt with today.  Cliff, so far, eats regular breakfast food like eggs and toast, or cereal and a banana.  

I have a terrible appetite for sweets, and sometime I make a complete fool of myself over pies, cakes, cookies, or ice cream.  I'd probably be better off if I had inherited my mother's type 2 diabetes, because then I'd have to cut way back on my sugars and carbs.  But here I am, 78 years old, eating anything and everything.

When Cliff is out running around without me, which doesn't happen much, he's taken up buying me a surprise treat of some sort.  Like this lovely little sack of goodness.

I don't buy candy because I can't keep out of it, so it really is a treat for me.  I had never tasted this particular kind of chocolate, but once I tasted it, Lloyds of London wouldn't have insured that bag of sinful pleasure.  I think I ate all but five of the little chocolate globes, and I saved them for the next day's dessert.  My husband ate one because I wanted him to know how good it was; after that, he refused any more.  

Today  we went to Walmart, and he went in with me.  As we walked down the main aisle, he pointed out the same sort of candy there within reach.  "No," I told him.  "I don't see a thing."  

I averted my eyes and headed toward the checkout.  But once we got there and were checking out, I saw a bag of that candy that had somehow jumped into the cart when I wasn't looking.

I guess I know what I'll be having for dessert.  I just hope I leave more for tomorrow this time.

Now, after reading this little story, you will understand why my husband has lost considerable weight on the two-meal-a-day plan, while I haven't lost so much as an ounce.

9 comments:

  1. We often eat two meals a day when on vacations and sometimes on weekends. On vacations, we like to avoid crowds so tend to stop at restaurants at 2 o'clock which means we aren't hungry for supper later. If it weren't for my kids, I would probably just do two meals a day everyday. I feel like I'm more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only do I eat three meals a day, I also have a (healthy) afternoon snack and sometimes an after-dinner one too. But like you, if there is chocolate in the house I can't keep my hands out of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sweets. I’m glad I never got addicted to drugs or drinking. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a two meal person too unless my mocha counts as a meal. (or dessert) Lindor truffles are the best. I prefer the milk and dark chocolate ones. I'm not such a fan of the white. They are high quality and creamy. Leave it to the Swiss!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a two meal person too..breakfast and lunch. I seldom snack except at Bunco.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:40 AM

    I love chocolate and usually have some every day. It's good for us and makes us feel better. What's not to like. Enjoy those little pleasures in life. Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindors are my very favorite. I am able to control myself and eat just two as an after dinner treat. Something to look forward to all day. I have no control with salty snack foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't buy chips either, or I'll eat the whole bag.

      Delete
  8. How thoughtful of Cliff! He is a real sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!