Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Yesterday Cliff took the first step toward hearing again!

Things went without a hitch yesterday with the cochlear implant.  We arrived at the hospital at 7 A.M., an hour early, thanks to Cliff's worrying that we'd get up caught in the morning rush hour.  We had picked up our daughter Rachel, who took off work to be our driver, and she drove both ways, going and coming.  That was great, because Cliff has never liked driving in the city, especially in Kansas, where he isn't familiar with any of the roads.  In spite of our early arrival in Leawood, the nurses took him in quickly and proceeded to get him ready for surgery.

The surgery itself took less than two hours.  Cliff was dizzy and a little bit silly when he got in the car to leave.  We were all hungry, and he "drunkenly" told Rachel to choose someplace for us to eat on the way home, patting her arm as he spoke.  She chose the Hi-Boy Cliff and I used to favor when we first met, just a couple blocks or so from where his family lived at the time.  Then we went to our Oak Grove Walmart to get two prescriptions, one antibiotic and one for pain.  I knew he wouldn't be taking the pain medication, because they knock him out; but I'll use one once in awhile on a bad knee day.  It's always nice to have those, in a pinch.  

Cliff was still pretty dizzy after we got home, so every time he got up, I walked with him wherever he was going.  I also slept with him, in case he had any kind of problem during the night.  Normally the dog and I sleep in my little bedroom; I on my much softer mattress, and the dog in his much-smaller kennel.  

We both got up pretty early this morning; Cliff took a couple Tylenols and is napping on the couch now.  

I took this last night.  That big thing over his right ear didn't manage to stay in place overnight, but he was supposed to take it off this morning anyway.  I told him he didn't have to smile, but he managed a tiny Mona-Lisa smile, anyway.

This behind-the-ear tapes are supposed to stay there for a week.  I hope they make it!  He isn't supposed to stoop over for two weeks, but he said he keeps forgetting and has already bent over twice.  I guess I'd better watch him closer.  He isn't to blow his nose, or sneeze through his nose.  He also isn't to lift anything over 25 pounds.  His dizziness seems to be gone, so he could drive if he needed to.  However, I made sure we had everything we need for this week, so we'll likely not be going anywhere.

So far, so good!


   

16 comments:

  1. Praying for a quick, uncomplicated recovery and total success with the rest of his gear when they hook it up and turn it on! Merry Christmas to you, Cliff, the family and the critters. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:21 AM

    I've been praying for Cliff's team. It's fantastic to hear he is doing well and able to rest. Don't forget it might be necessary for the care team, of one, to rest also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully everything heals up fast and well. I can't imagine not being able to hear. I guess that is why I have been pretty religious about wearing ear protection all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:42 AM

    Praying for a complete and speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PrechrLadi10:44 AM

    Praying for complete healing and successful results. Hear, hear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm delighted that it went well and you both can move forward. It will be exciting for Cliff to be able to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure hope he can hear better. I know this is an option one day for my Greta, but it would be the end of her sports playing so that is a down the road option. Keep us up to date on his improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy & Ron B.3:09 PM

    Glad the procedure went well. Prayers for a great recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. David Twente5:54 PM

    I enjoyed the story. My bride gets violently ill from the anesthetic so that makes surgery even worse. I'm glad Cliff felt good enough to go out and eat. It will take two weeks of healing and then the fun will begin. Prayers for a speedy recovery and a miraculous healing in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice that his surgery went well. He may still be dizzy for awhile, so be careful. You might have to pin a note on his shirt sleeve to remind him not to lean over. I got bruising down my neck, so it wasn't pretty after a couple of days. The steri-strips do well staying in place; just let them detach as they want; don't pull on them. Ice packs are good too for the swelling. Have fun with the silence; he could become a real jabbermouth when he's "activated" in a few weeks. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am praying he will recover and with good hearing again. I wear one hearing aid and need another one for the other ear but I can't afford another.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:11 AM

    I'll be praying all goes well and he can hear better again. Modern medicine can do so much, and miracles do happen every day ! Love and prayers, ma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:35 AM

    PRAISE GOD! Thank you Love you both! Love, Prayers and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Donna, I’ll keep you and Cliff in my prayers. 🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  16. How’s Cliff progressing?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!