Friday, December 31, 2021

It's been a good year

I've put a couple little funnies on Facebook that speak to our fear of what might happen in the coming year.  Here's one of them.

It's true, a lot of awful things happened in 2021.  Covid just refuses to die out, parts of the world are burning while others are flooded, tornadoes seem to have moved to the deep south instead of terrorizing Missouri and Kansas, earthquakes are becoming commonplace.  We've had more catastrophes than I can count, and you can't help but wonder where it will all end.

However, this morning I thought of all this and asked myself, "Have these things ruined my life?"

Just this morning I've enjoyed re-creating a dessert my mom used to make often for several years somewhere in the 60's:  Woolworth's cheesecake.  That isn't what Mother called it, but when I began googling for the recipe, I found out the dessert was served at the food counters in Woolworth's.  It isn't a true cheesecake, although it has cream cheese in it.  I guess my mom got tired of it, because by the time I married Cliff, she had totally stopped making it.  I always loved it, but had only made it once after discovering the recipe.  Today I made it again.  I always feel like I'm honoring my mom when I try to duplicate something she made when I was a child.  

I love to cook, and I've done plenty of it this year.  It makes me happy.  This morning I boiled turkey bones for a couple of hours so I can make turkey frame soup.  I got four cups of meat off the bones that would have been thrown away with the bones.  The turkey came all the way from Carthage, Missouri, to make me happy.  (The son-in-law's mother provided it.)

I so enjoyed my garden this past summer.  We were very short on rain, but the rains we got seemed to come at the right times to keep my corn growing.  We've enjoyed my Bodacious Sweet Corn so much!  I served some in a slow cooker at our Christmas get-together.  Oh, and I started a strawberry patch that I hope will give us lots of berries this coming spring.

If I'm careful and don't hurry, I can still go for my walks in the pasture with Gabe.  It's one of my favorite things to do, feeling the warmth of the sun in summer, and the brisk, refreshing breeze on my face in winter.  Oh, and the smell of the woods is wonderful!

Cliff and I haven't had Covid yet.  Of course we're vaccinated, but many people have still gotten it in spite of the vaccine.  So far, so good.

We have a dog and a cat to entertain us (and cost us money, but they're worth it so far).

We have typical old-people problems, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy ourselves.  We have plenty of fun times, and the grandson is right next door to help us with anything we can't manage, and never complains about doing it.

We've never lacked for food or clothing, and this year is no exception.  We can be warm in winter and cool in summer, with a roof over our heads that doesn't leak.

Cliff and I are both thankful that we're able to read any library book we want on our iPads.

Oh yes, and the Kansas City Chiefs!  I never thought anybody would catch me watching football, but those guys' personalities got me hooked.  I'm truly going to miss them when the season's over.

I could go on, but I hope you see what I mean:  I can't say 2021 has been awful for me, personally.  I feel bad for those who have been hurt by all the calamities across the world, and almost feel guilty that I have it so good.  But I can't let the problems of others make me forget how much I have to be thankful for.

And on that note, I wish you all a happy new year.  If your year was awful, I hope 2022 treats you better.  As long as I'm able, I'll try to keep on the sunny side.

9 comments:

  1. I too need to make a list of my blessings and not focus on what has gone wrong and my fears for this coming year. I've had many wonderful times with loved ones and my daughters are both here for the holidays. There will always be problems but I'm taking one day at a time and trying to focus on the good. To find it, I need to look for it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right and sometimes I almost feel survivor's guilt. Yes there have been inconveniences but really, when I look at some of the depths of disaster so many have faced, I am blessed. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a good year, Donna, and I hope 2022 will bring blessing and all positive things to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother used to make a similar no bake cheesecake back when I was little. I had forgotten about it until reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year ! I too have been blessed not to have covid and am thankful for what little aches and pains I do have. I can handle those with some aspirin or tylenol. When we count our blessings we find out just how good life is !

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gratitude list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may have a few problems from time to time but I have many blessings to count! For my age, I have great health and very few aches and pains. I have three children who love me and their spouses do too! That's a real blessing too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have much to be thankful for, and not dwell on the negatives in my life.
    Happy New Year! Keep blogging, I love to read your posts. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what? I was feeling a little depressed, but you're reminding me of all I have to be grateful for. Thank you. I'm smiling.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!