Friday, December 10, 2021

It's a bleak-looking day

In spite of the clouds, our temperatures are heading to the sixties today.  Gabe and I are back from our walk, which called for a light coat over the sweatshirt I'm wearing.  I also wore my KC Chiefs sock hat, and kept both coat and hat on all the way.  Many times I'll start out with a coat and end up laying it on the ground to pick up when I come back that way, but not today.

We went to a funeral Monday about 80 miles north of here for a cousin's husband.  The cousin is one of us four baby girls born in 1944 in the Allen family.  Norman hadn't been really well for some time.  We noticed how weak he seemed at the reunion in August.  His passing is a poignant reminder that this is the time of our lives when any one of us could be the next one to go.  Ah, but I've had such a good time on my pilgrimage that even when the time comes, I'll likely be reluctant to go.  

Cliff has been piddling in the shop quite a bit with his tractor project, which the grandson helps him with when he comes home from work, as well as on weekends.  He supplies a lot of muscle that Cliff no longer has.  Arick had Covid early this year, and it had just lately been enough time since he had it that he could get a booster; it made him pretty sick and very tired for one day, then he was fine.  They warned him that would probably happen; he's a believer and doesn't want to have covid again.  I wouldn't be surprised if all of us eventually have it, the way it keeps morphing.  More and more I get the feeling it's going to be around forever.

Oh, I MUST recommend the book I'm reading:  The Boys, by Ron Howard and Clint Howard.  I haven't read far yet, about 100 pages into a 500-page book, but I was hooked immediately.  I'm a big Andy Griffith Show fan, even now.  Ron credits his dad with teaching him how to act when he was a childhood thespian.  He obviously has a profound love and respect for his parents.   

Below, I took a photo of one page, just to help you get a feel for the tone of the book.  Click on it and it will appear larger, if it seems hard to read.
This book has given me a smile on almost every page so far.  Your library will have it, but you'll probably have to get on a list.  I'm pretty sure I waited a month or so before it showed up on the iPad.  

That's all I have today.  Let's hope we all have a happy weekend.

5 comments:

  1. You convinced me. Going to check now to see if they have it. I did and I put it on hold. 28th on 5 copies so it may be a while but that is OK. Thanks. Always loved Ron Howard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will need to get that one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Ron Howard is a very nice and down to earth person. It sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the media has been very lax on how they have portrayed the future of this virus will all the "fighting" and "prevention" stories. Since day one, the medical community has known that this virus will be around forever and eventually everyone will catch it at some point. It will continue to mutate, just like a flu virus does every year and will occasionally kill people. The hope it that it eventually mutates into something less severe like many of it's close cousins, the common colds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a great book. I am sorry you lost your cousin.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!