Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Weather and other things

We are in the middle of an incredible period of perfect weather; the only thing that would make it more perfect would be a decent rain; but the temperatures are cool and refreshing, giving us a chance to sleep with the windows open at night.  This cool-down follows a few days of temperatures near 100ยบ, so I am doubly grateful.  Of course it will warm up again, but I can keep in mind that we are that much closer to autumn.  Gabe and I can wait until 8 a.m. or so to go for our walk, instead of leaving as the sun is about to come up.  

The crazy cat insists on following us if he sees us walking through the gate, but he usually stops early and spends the whole day in the woods.  That would be great, except that coyotes and foxes eat cats, so I usually worry my daylight hours away and then make Cliff take me back there on the four-wheeler in the evening so I can bring him home; silly, I know.  Blue always comes out near whatever spot we left him in that morning.

Yesterday, however, he came back on his own before noon.  Sometimes I think maybe he just stays because he enjoys riding on the four-wheeler.  This morning he wasn't in sight and wasn't following us when we left, I thought; but when we reached the giant mud-puddle small pond in the pasture, he came bouncing up from behind, then stayed behind as Gabe and I moved on.  Now that he's come back on his own once, I'm not going to worry about him (sometimes I lie to myself like this).


On to another subject:  For years I've been searching for the world's best biscuit.  I googled the phrase "biscuit nirvana" on my blog and found several entries where I've used that term in a post, many of those times mentioning yet another wonderful secret I'd found to making the perfect biscuit.  However, I recently watched a video that gives probably the best suggestion of all, and it's something I hadn't been able to force myself to try before; turns out I had been over-working the dough.  If you like, feel free to watch the video and see how Chef John makes biscuits.  Click HERE.  I found this recipe on allrecipes but had never taken time to watch the video.  Cliff is very impressed with the difference this method makes.  No matter what biscuit recipe I use, this is bound to improve the final product.

Gabe survived his fourth birthday yesterday.  If he makes it to 14 years of age, I will be 87 if I'm still around, so he could well be the last dog I ever have.  I used to worry about what would happen to him if I died, but Cliff has come to like him, and I think he would take good care of him at this stage of his life, other than the fact he'd feed him too much of everything he shouldn't have.  However, my mom's old poodle lived like that to the ripe old age of 17... and died obese, blind, deaf, and happy.

Of course, what if Cliff goes first?  He always says he expects to die before I do because he thinks I'm in better health.  I won't worry about that just now.

8 comments:

  1. Please don't assume that since Blue did something "once", that it's now a habit. Go get him as always, in the evening, as perhaps it was only a fluke that he came home on his own. Happy Birthday to Gabe and may he live many *many* more years. He will because he's getting a lot of love & good care! I'm always in search of a good biscuit too. I'm going to check out the video. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. With cats, it is all about them themselves and what suits them.

    With biscuits, I find that people tend to like the style of biscuits they were brought up with. I make the same biscuits my parents made and don't stray unless I get some at a restaurant.

    I've heard of people detailing animal care in their will if nobody is around to take care of them. Perhaps Gabe can be a rich dog someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Our deaths will make nobody rich. My mother was a great cook, made the best pies, cakes, and cookies. But she never, as far as I remember, made any sort of biscuits or bread. When canned biscuits came on the scene though, my dad had those every single day for breakfast. And that's the only biscuits that ever showed up in our kitchen.

      Delete
  3. Please take good care of Blue.If a coyote or fox got him it would be a tragedy. I lost Missy three years or so ago and have been lost without her ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're having great weather now too (after the heat dome) but we NEED rain. Thought we were getting some tomorrow. However, they've changed the forecast. :( I've never made biscuits and haven't made any sweet treats since my dad died. He enjoyed them so much. I don't know that I've ever made a biscuit from scratch. Not even sure what they are. A scone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never allowed my cata outside like you do. They were always inside so I didn't have to worry about them. You're much braver team I am. It's been beautiful weather here too, but the heat and humidity are to return this weekend. It's normal weather for Augst. It's always been our hottest month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are enjoying the cooler weather also but the smokey haze takes a lot of the fun out of it. I too wonder about who will take care of Callie when I go. I had someone lined up but now they are in worse health than I am. Need a plan B I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the cooler weather down here in south central Missouri has been glorious. Up until a few days ago I had to leave at 6 a.m. otherwise it was too hot. Both of our cats always followed us when we went for a walk. One would come as far as the end of the driveway and would wait for us to come back. One morning I let the cat out when it was still rather dark and I heard funny noise outside. I went to the door and there was a fox with the cat right behind it. The fox startled when I opened the door ran and the cat chased it. She had a lucky escape.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!