Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Reunion

I went to a family reunion Sunday, my father's side of the family.  It's mostly older people in attendance these days, folks my age; young people don't care about relatives they've never known.  I don't intend that statement as a put-down, because I was in that group myself for years, and still am even at this age, to some extent.  Once Grandma and the aunts and uncles were gone, not to mention my parents, I didn't have much desire to attend.  For that matter, after I married I ignored most reunions for ages.  Then Daddy died and Mother was old, and I went to the reunions to please her.

I always saw more of my mom's side of the family when I was growing up; Daddy's mother died in childbirth in the 1920's, so there was no grandma to visit, just a deaf and blind grandpa who mostly sat in the corner and smoked his pipe.  Sometimes we'd swing by one of Daddy's brothers' houses for a quick visit after spending a day with my mom's relatives, but I didn't know the Allens as well, although I do remember playing with the cousins sometimes when we were there.

In 1944, my father and three of his brothers all happened to have baby girls born.  I think I'm the oldest of the lot, born in July.  One of them, Lela, has spent her whole life in rural north Missouri.  The cousins I got to know the best in my father's family are two of them who lived near us when we first moved to the unincorporated area of Kansas City known as Harlem: Frances and Alice.  We later graduated together at North Kansas City High School in 1962.  

When we first moved to Harlem around 1956, our three families all lived in small apartments in the same two-story building, the downstairs of which had once been a mom-and-pop grocery store.  Frances's family had a rest room to themselves, although their apartment was just one big room.  There were seven of them and a parakeet living in that small space.  Alice's family had what I thought was the nicest apartment of the four in the building; they had to share the rest room with us upstairs apartment-dwellers, but it was in a hall right outside their door.  My mom, dad, and I had a cramped three-room space upstairs.  We'd never had an inside toilet or running water before, so that was a first, even if we did have to go downstairs to relieve ourselves.  We didn't have the luxury of a bathtub or shower, the water in the sink only ran cold, and my bed was the the couch in the living room.

I was miserably homesick for the north Missouri countryside, but I got to know my two cousins while we lived there, especially Alice, who has always been very outgoing and cheerful.  Frances was quieter and much more of a private person.  None of us lived in that apartment building long, but the memories of that place have really stuck with me.  We talked about Harlem at the reunion, and how it was living there when we were all so poor.  By the way, I'm still the poorest of the lot, if you count monetary wealth.  But I've lived a wonderful life in the country that I wouldn't trade with any city dweller.

I did enjoy going down memory lane with those two cousins, both of whom are some of the nicest people you'd ever meet.  It was a day well spent, at least on my part.  I'm not sure they care as much about dwelling in the past as I do, but it was fun for me.

I wonder how many more reunions there will be as, one by one, we shuffle off this mortal coil.

8 comments:

  1. My mother's side of the family has a reunion every year but I haven't been in a good decade. I haven't received a notice for one this year. Maybe they aren't having it because of Covid. I should go but probably won't with the virus numbers climbing again. I haven't kept myself isolated this long just to go and do something I shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this one was outside in a State Park shelter, so it was open air. And I'm not a hugger. Of course there was still a risk, since we sat at a picnic table and visited. But I've never shut completely down except for perhaps the first six weeks. As much a loner as I am, I didn't like not seeing my family. We all assess the risk and make our own choices. I do believe the risk is greater now than it was in the beginning, because good grief, seems like everybody is getting it, even the vaccinated folks. I will hope that the vaccine keeps it from being too bad, if we get it.

      Delete
  2. As I solidify my stance in middle age, I have grown to like family reunions but they are few and far between now. Once the patriarchs are gone, the glue that binds the siblings and cousins doesn't seem to be as strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother's side of the family used to have a big reunion, but slowly all the old folks passed away and then they stopped having it. I miss them and am sad not seeing all the cousins I used to play with as a child. You are right the younger folks just don't care if they get together these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We traveled a lot and weren't a big family to begin with. Each parent had one sibling and each of those had one child. Wasn't swamped with cousins. I was a staple though at a friends reunion in my teens and loved it. Lots of games and great food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun fun FUN blog entry to read, Donna. I thoroughly enjoyed it! My past (& present!) were and are very much like yours. We didn't get together much with my Dad's side but we were very close with my Mom's side.... gathering at Grandma's house every Sunday afternoon. I'd play with my cousins and listen to my Grandma, my Mom and all her siblings talking at the big kitchen table. When they were gossiping they'd talk Hungarian so we kids wouldn't know what they were saying. *haha* Everybody on my Mom's side is gone now, including my Mom (12 years now). We haven't had a family reunion in years. My one brother tried to keep the family reunions going for awhile, years ago, so he'd have a pool party every summer. It was well attended for a few years and then that started to slack off so he quit having them. Of course now he's gone too. Life is just different in today's day & age... and it's a mighty shame, if you ask me. Thanks again for the wonderful story. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every 3 years we have a reunion from my mothers side of the family. But, once Mom passed on, it just wasn't fun to go anymore! My dad's side we had one 10 years ago and probaby 20 years prior.
    Now, my own siblings and our kids and grandkids try and get all together every 2 years, but we couldn't this year cause the camp we use wouldn't let us because of covid!! But, they had camp every week...weird

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to get together with my Dad's side for big family birthdays and my parents' anniversary, but that ended when my parents got too old; none of the rest of us had the energy to take it on. Sadly.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!