Thursday, August 19, 2021

Hoarding again?

Wednesday was Cliff's monthly payday.  I looked at the ads for all the stores at Blue Springs, even Aldi, and realized there are no bargains any more.  The stores may call them bargains, but I don't.  Of course Aldi has some things I always like to buy there, but I really didn't need any of the basics they carry, so we chose to only drive to the smaller Walmart at Oak Grove and get what things we needed there.  I couldn't believe the empty spots on the shelves everywhere... again!

At least I'm set up with enough toilet paper to last a while, since I bought some last week at Costco.  When will people learn?

I froze the last of my corn today, two more quarts, plus a nice big pan-full we'll eat from for two or three days.  I put some of my earlier frozen corn in a crockpot for my recent family reunion; it always makes a hit, and it's something really easy to prepare:  just heat, season, and put in the crockpot.  I will always plant Bodacious sweet corn unless I can't find the seeds anywhere.  The ears are huge, often two ears to a stalk, and it's supersweet.  I much prefer it to the peaches-and-cream variety that's sold in stores.  I had almost no worm damage this year! 

After Cliff got up and had breakfast, Gabe and I went out to harvest the last of the sweet corn, none of which was ruined by the wind that had come through a couple weeks ago.  Gabe loves corn, and I caught him once at the bucket of corn getting ready to take a bite.  

The grandson's girl friend's dog, Clouse, has adopted Cliff.  Clouse is the most amazing dog I've ever seen in that he wants to be at a human's side constantly, and so far has never gotten off our property.  I've never witnessed a dog that stays home outside voluntarily without a fence or leash keeping him there.  He has a pen the kids put him in when they go to work, but because he stays so close, Cliff lets him out of the pen to hang out with him in the shop when he goes out; Clouse barks toward our house trying to hurry Cliff up until he goes out the door..  Silly dog, he even likes to ride beside my husband in the four-wheeler.  When Cliff went to mow the pasture a couple days ago, Clouse patiently waited in the shop for his hero to return, lying in front of what Cliff has designated as the dog's personal fan.  What a team... Cliff and Clouse.  Sounds like a vaudeville act.

Dogs add so much spice to life, especially in these scary and depressing times.  There's always something to laugh at as long as we have a couple of dogs and a pompous, smart-aleck cat around.

7 comments:

  1. Animals are a great comfort during these times. I dread shortages and anticipate sky high prices due to the pandemic but also due to the drought and wildfires in California; they are one of our biggest food producers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't escape notice that once the cost goes up for a item, it almost never comes back down, and on top of that, companies will frequently reduce the size and the price stays the same. We get most of our canned goods -- usually several cases at a time -- at Aldi. During the height of the pandemic Aldi was limiting how many cans a person could buy but they seem to have relaxed that rule now. I sure do miss my little Molly dog, but we are reluctant to go out searching for a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My neighbor has a dog like that. He just never leaves the property. If my property wasn't fenced, Callie would be long gone.
    That corn sure sounds good and glad the storm didn't hurt your crop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shelves in our stores here in Northern California are bare as well. I believe we just might be in for a hard winter and I don't mean from the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, both of our Walmart’s in Jeff City have a lot of empty shelves. I just don’t understand? Why the need to hoard food? I feed my 3- Ginger’s 🐈 a canned cat food once a day as a supplement to their dry food. I buy it by the cases now because I never know when they will have it in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a new market here in Caney and it is well stocked. For years we had no market at all and had to drive 14 miles to the nearest WalMart for Groceries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our little town of 780 doesn't have a chance of getting a store.

      Delete

I love comments!