Friday, August 27, 2021

How does my garden grow?

On the left are green beans, my latest ones planted until a week or so ago.  The next two rows are turnips.  I won't be harvesting them until September.

The watered row on the left?  Green beans.  I may have planted them too late to harvest anything, but I had a few seeds left over and thought, "Why not?"  The next row is cabbage in the nearest end and zucchini in the other end.  There's only half of the third row planted; I think I put beets there, just because I had plenty of seeds.

The green beans are coming up!

Cabbage too!

Zucchini!

I don't recall when I planted the seed that grew into this eggplant, but I've only watered it once, a couple days ago.  I am amazed at how healthy it is in spite of the drought we've had this summer.

A tiny eggplant is forming.  Several of them, actually, and this plant is loaded with flowers.  I notice the bees love the flowers on the eggplant.

My two rows of strawberry plants.  I bought 30 plants and now I have 19.  Until three days ago I had 20; unfortunately I got careless with my hoe.  I could have cried.  But all those left are healthy, although some are less vigorous than others.  As you can see, I was watering the plants with a soaker hose; that way the water goes down to the roots where it's needed instead of watering areas where nothing is growing.  

This mother plant has already sent out two daughters!  See the long stems reaching out on the wet soil?  All these plants kept trying to bear strawberries, but I picked the blooms as soon as I saw them; you never let strawberry plants bear the first year; it takes the strength away from the plants while they are getting settled and making daughters.

I also have okra to harvest every other day, but I didn't think to take a picture.  And we are still eating tomatoes and bell peppers from the garden.

I can't wait to see how all these late-planted crops do.  Except for the strawberries, it's all an experiment for me, but it's kept me from dwelling on negative things.  Even in this hellacious heat!

11 comments:

  1. Growing things is very therapeutic. Ashley planted some vegetables and fruits when she came home for the summer. It's not a big area and some of the stuff isn't thriving, but it's still fun. Niko loved to go out and "help" his mama water. (and eat whatever strawberries or cherry tomatoes were ripe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're garden is fabulous, and even a second crop. Amazing for sure. I got 11 cobs of corn off of 4 20 foot rows, NOt sure why I keep trying every year. haha! Because like Margaret says, It's therapeutic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am super impressed. Everything is growing so beautifully. My solitary eggplant sadly bit the dust. The only thing I can’t easily kill is green onions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried growing turnips but it sounds appealing to me. They just weren't a big part of my diet when I was younger. Green beans, egg plant, okra and tomatoes however, are all very familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good and makes me a bit sad I didn't plant anything this year. Great idea with the soaker hoses. Didn't know that about strawberries not being allowed to fruit the first year. Makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can only hope you get a nice long fall in order to enjoy those late plantings. Meanwhile you have made a good start on what you have and can enjoy much of what you have now. The strawberries will be really nice to have next year too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watching things grow.... such a blessing to be able to do. Thank you for sharing the new growth on your land, Donna. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden got me pondering…you ever heard “ can’t cut the mustard any more.”
    I know it means one isn’t able, but I don’t get it. Do you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the name of a very old country song, but I'm sure the saying came before the song was written: If a person is too old to cut the mustard anymore, according to Google, it means you're too old to succeed at something. However, my dad had a more vulgar interpretation of it; he never said that, it was the way he said it, grinning with a twinkle in his eye. He was sort of a bawdy man anyhow. To him, I think it meant too old to have a certain kind of relationship with a woman. That's the nicest way I can say it.

      Delete
    2. Well, that’s the rest of the story…lol

      Delete
  9. You are quite a gardener. I wouldn't know when or where to begin. My mother gardened. During the second world war everyone did.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!