Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cliff and his passion for old tractors


For a couple of weeks, Cliff has been watching a Craigslist ad: "1650 oliver good cond. diesel, $4000".

Now, Cliff doesn't need another tractor, so I'm sure you'd have to be another tractor-lover to understand this.

He's watched the asking price on this tractor go down a couple of times. He's mumbled to himself about it frequently. I've told him time after time, "Call the guy and make him an offer."

I don't want the tractor, but here's the thing: When I was looking at Apple Macs, talking about the expense and all, he said, (not knowing a thing about them except that they're pricey) "If it was me, and I wanted it, I'd get it."

These days we have pretty creative ways of buying things without touching our emergency and vacation funds, and without becoming a slave to credit cards. Where there's a will, there's always a way.

Cliff loves all old tractors, but most especially he loves Olivers. The one he's been drooling over on Craigslist was made around 1970. If he were to buy it, he'd probably play with it for a year or so, then sell it.

Last night, finally, he broke down and called the fellow, who said he only received three calls inquiring about the tractor. So he took it to a tractor auction at Cook Tractors in Clinton, where it will be auctioned off this coming Monday.

Yes, I did say, "I told you to call!"

Silly man.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:42 AM

    "If it was me, and I wanted it, I'd get it."

    I love that.

    I hear people who spend money on little crap, lattes, nail appts, lunch out, video games, complain about larger purchases of a spouse. I think you get a lot more satisfaction from the larger purchases that you really adore than from the little ways we waste money. And couples guilting each other over their purchases(unless there is a $$ problem already) is a sign of emotional cheapness as well as financial. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:13 AM

    I feel that way also...if you want it badly enough...go for it...!!! but sad to say...hubby doesn't agree...LOL...Happy Easter...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh! Now that I'm here, I'd like that tractor. Looks exceptionally good for un-restored or even repainted 1650 Oliver. The engine is same basic block as the 1850 Perkins engines, only less cubic inches. Considered bullet proof.
    Nice looking unit. (envy filled) Fernan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could he take a break at work and bid by phone? I see that done all the time at the big auction houses in New York.... of course there's a little difference between a Van Gogh and a tractor (I'd prefer the tractor).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!