Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Yes! I know what my tree is!

These are like my pods.

That's exactly like my seeds!
It is definitely a Kentucky Coffee tree. It isn't all that common, so I feel honored to have it here. It flowers in June, after the leaves are on, which means the flowers aren't noticeable. I'll bet that's what draws the hummingbirds to it, though. Early settlers actually roasted those beans and used them as a substitute for coffee. The beans are toxic before roasting.

I see it has some medicinal and other uses.


7 comments:

  1. Cool! I'm glad you found out what it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many interesting things I've learned from you through journaling. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you found out what kind it is, now you can make a pot of bean coffee LOL. I had a hummer come in last week so I put out juice. I saw it sipping the last couple of days so yesterday I got a picture. Not very close up but I got her. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, They cooked up some MOREL MUSHROOMS just a little bit ago on The Today Show (CBS). I heard of THEM somewhere. The comment was that they are found in the woods or on someone elses property. I heard of that somewhere too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being from Kentucky, I am chagrined not to know this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have one of those too! Thanks for the identification!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of one! Are you going to try the beans for coffee???
    love,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!