Monday, April 13, 2009

A book



Sitting in the dentist's office the other day, I picked up a well-worn book and was instantly mesmerized. The title was "Kansas City, Then and Now".

On the left-hand page there would be a picture of Kansas City at some time in the distant past; on the right-hand page was a picture of the same location, as it looks now. Absolutely fascinating, and I just HAD to have that book.

No, I didn't steal it from the dentist's office. I came home, looked for a used copy on half.com, and ordered "Kansas City: Then and Now", the original, and "Kansas City, Then and Now 2". There's also a "3", but it's newer, and therefore, pricier.

The pictures above are surprisingly similar considering they're taken almost 150 years apart. In others, though, you can't even tell it's the same location.

Now I must go look at my picture book; then I'll be off to the garden to cover up the stuff I set out yesterday.

Yep. It's going to be at or near freezing tonight.

5 comments:

  1. I love books like that. I have one of our town too. We are only going down to 41 tonight. That's a high as we've been being in the 20's. Hope it all weathers over for you. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book would be so interesting for sure. This weather is so wierd. This morning we had terrible storms & high winds. Thanks about the comment you made on my blog about the award. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read 2 out of 3. They are great books based on KC Star archives that otherwise may not be available. I had a lot of fun at work when actual old(er) people added their own memories to the photos. There is a good history site for Johnson County KS www.jocohistory.com, google/life archives where I get tons of photos for my blog and many photos on the site of the KC public library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a great Easter and that you have a good week ahead.

    Lots of love to you
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a really cool picture book! I love stuff like that. Glad you were able to find you a copy of the books. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!