Sunday, November 09, 2008

Thinking about a close call

Last Sunday we rode the motorcycle from Buffalo, Missouri, where we'd spent the night, to Sedalia, Missouri to meet up with some of Cliff's cousins.

Our helmets are equipped with microphones so we can communicate without yelling at one another. Since it was Sunday, I was singing hymns to Cliff as we rode along. "How Great Thou Art", "Thank You, Lord, For Your Blessings On Me", and probably a dozen others.


Although my seat is elevated slightly more than Cliff's, I really can't see over his head. If I want to watch the road, I usually look to one side of his helmeted head.


However, I was so wrapped up with my singing that I was paying no attention to the road ahead. Until I felt Cliff suddenly brake.
I peered around his head to see a tractor-trailer rig heading toward us, with a car trying to pass him, not very successfully. She was in our lane approaching us rapidly.

The lady driver pulled in so close to the front of the truck, I don't know how she kept from scraping his bumper. We heard the trucker apply his jake-brakes.


There would have been some options if the lady hadn't made it into her lane; Cliff could have pulled onto the narrow right-hand shoulder of the highway, perhaps... that little four-foot stretch of pavement on the other side of those wake-up bumps.


It was indeed a close call. I'm very thankful it was nothing more than that.
And I'm thankful for a skilled, alert trucker who single-handedly prevented a wreck that could have injured or killed us.

If that had happened, we wouldn't have been able to meet up with Cliff's cousins.




And that would have been a real shame. The only time the people in this group see one another seems to be at funerals, which get more and more frequent.

And if that lady passing the truck had hit us, the next funeral might have been ours.

12 comments:

  1. Thankful too that all turned out ok. It does make one wonder what some drivers are thinking about when they do those crazy things.
    It looks like you all had a great time getting together. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are safe. It's not us--it's the other crazy drivers that make me worry.

    Looks like a good visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! I bet it was all of your praise singing that had the angels tagging along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went the same route today, I called but didn't want it to ring for a long time in case you were still at church. Almost 300 miles later we really liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure would have been a shame. Looks like you folks had a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:35 AM

    sure glad the accident was prevented...and surely you had someone riding along with you..LOL..and singing and praising His name to boot!!!! God Bless...cause surely you were!!! hugs..Ora

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew, SO glad you're both safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was indeed a close call. No matter how careful you are, there is always someone out there that is driving like a dummy. Its just like when people try to beat the train and cross the tracks. Are they really in that big of a hurry to risk their life? That is what that lady was doing trying to go around that rig, and involving others as well, y'all! Everyone looks to be smiling and having a good time on the visit. It was a pretty day for it too. :) Have a good Monday. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! glad it turned out OK. I love motorcycle riding...so exhilirating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scary!! I'm so glad that you both are alright! Thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please be careful....and I will say a little prayer that all your trips are safe. Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. So the driver of that car was in such a damn hurry she couldn't make a safe pass? That's how they drive here. GOD forbid they wait a bit longer to make it safe. Pisses me off to no end! Thank God that truck driver and Cliff were very alert and careful!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!