Monday, November 10, 2008

Rest in peace, Miriam Makeba

I would not even know who Miriam Makeba was yet today, had I not gone to Kansas City's Municipal Auditorium to see Peter, Paul and Mary in 1965 or thereabouts. Miriam opened for them, and I instantly became a fan.

I went home and ordered an LP album of hers from Columbia Record Club. She's an artist you needed to see in person to fully appreciate. That performance of hers was incredibly full of life.




According to the news item I read today, she collapsed while performing. What a way to go!

I especially loved her "Click Song", which simply used the sounds of her native language. This next Youtube video appears to be from the time period when I saw her.

2 comments:

  1. She was doing what she loved best when she went, what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:01 AM

    I hadn't remembered her but yesterday on the View, Whoopi was talking about her. As a matter of fact they came out to her most famous song. (the Click song or Pata Pata

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!