Thursday, November 13, 2008

That's a partial arrowhead and a couple of pieces of flint I found when Cliff and I were walking in the pasture the other day.

Sadie and I walked today after Cliff went to work; he had his every-three-month doctor visit this morning so the doctor could ask him how he's feeling, and to get his blood work done. Once you've had CABG surgery and go on all those prescription drugs, you get to see a doctor regularly.

A couple of weeks ago, I vowed to patronize the small-town grocery stores around here. Last week I spent only $68, and today I spent $63. Trouble is, today's money was spent at Walmart.

I know, I wasn't going to do that. But the grocer in the town where our doctors' office is had to close down due to competition from Walmart. I don't drive. It was either patronize Walmart or make a special trip someplace else, and I hate to make Cliff drive extra miles in his free time. So on the second week of my "patronize local grocers" vow, I folded. Hopefully next week I'll get back on track.

I've found I watch my grocery dollars more closely if I take a certain amount of cash, rather than using the checkbook. So that's another practice I'm implementing.

We are not in dire straits; but we're in our sixties, so I know the time is coming when we won't have Cliff's steady, quite generous paycheck to count on. I may as well get used to budgeting now.

On this gloomy, gray afternoon there's a cold front coming through, possibly bringing rain. Sunday may bring sunshine and sixty degree temperatures, say the weather-guessers. If it does, we'll get on the Gold Wing and head out on the open road for a few hours... if the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise.

6 comments:

  1. That is one of my favorite says...the good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise. Sounds like you are having much milder temps than we are. On Sunday we may have snow. Have a great time what ever you decide to do. I know I need to watch my budget too...someday I won't have my income to rely on.
    God willing...I will still have it a few more years. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom used to say that all of the time! My other favorite was "we haven't had this much excitement since granny got her apron caught in the saddle when she jumped"!

    I have a huge arrowhead collection that I have found around here, I have about 15 perfect ones and numerous partials. I'll have to dig them out and take some pictures and post on my blog this weekend.

    We are having our first hard freeze tomorrow the weatherman said-stay warm and have a great weekend, Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you get a chance, check out Nov 13 post on my blog. You may enjoy. We have discovered that Walmart is not always cheaper than the local stores, both with groceries and other things; unfortunately for the locals, the Walmart name fools people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:05 AM

    The Oak Grove old grocery store (Corn's) closed recently, mainly because of Walmart, then the "last straw" was a n"new" store is being built. I think it is Patricia's. There is one in Odessa and one in Grain Valley. Guess they thought every 5 miles was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the arrowhead and flint you found! So cool.
    We went to a local restaurant tonight and found out it had better food than most that we usually go to! I'm trying to be more local. But it is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas and I are in our 40s, and we feel the same way. And you never know what tomorrow is going to bring, so it's always good to be able to budget and know that you can make it on little when you have to.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!