Thursday, November 06, 2008

Grocery expenses. Bah, humbug!

I haven't really had a grocery budget for several years. If I want something, I get it. No problem.

We all know what's happened to grocery prices in the past year or so, and I'm getting tired of walking out of the store over $100 poorer than I was when I walked in. Every single week. Just for me and Cliff.

OK, so I've figured out problem number one: Walmart. I go in with my "grocery" list, diligently shop for the store brand, check out the almost-expired meats for bargains, and wonder why it's costing me so much. But honestly, I do know the problem.

It's the non-grocery items. Oil for several tractors and two vehicles; bird feeders; big plastic containers for storing out-of-season clothes and quilts and mementos; even clothing, at times. Of course the oil and containers must be purchased. But I think it will be better if they are kept seperate from the groceries.

I'm going to work at shopping in regular grocery stores. The prices are higher, but they have good weekly sales, and I tend to walk out with exactly what I went in for; no extras. A blogger told me long ago I should patronize my local businesses, and I've half-heartedly done it... sometimes. I was jolted, last week, to see that a local grocery store in nearby Oak Grove that's been there since the '60's is shutting down because they just can't take the competition from Walmart. I'm going to make a real effort to buy my groceries anywhere but Walmart. No, folks. I don't hate Walmart (except the Blue Springs one... ha!). I just want to stick to a budget, and perhaps keep one of our local stores from closing. The following is a snippet of news I read in our local newspaper:

Norby and Phamie Corn honored at Thursday night football game
Norby and Phamie Corn, longtime owners of Corn's Apple Market, were honored prior to the Oak Grove-Holden football game Thursday night.
Hank Melhorn, announcer for the Panthers, read a tribute and thanks to the Corns for their support.
"Everyone in Oak Grove is aware that Corn's Apple Market, a landmark establishment, has closed this week after serving the community for almost 50 years.
"Phamie and Norby Corn are with us tonight, and Oak Grove R-6 and the community want to say thanks and wish them well as they enter a new chapter in their, and the community's, life. Phamie and Norby are representing the Corn family. Norby's parents, Mona Lee and Carl, assumed full ownership of the store in 1964. Norby and Phamie are graduates of OGHS classes of '70 and '72. Norby became the manager, with Phamie's help in 1980. Carl and Mona Lee, for better or worse, were also looking over Norby's shoulder." Read complete story in Focus on Oak Grove.

I'm switching back to plain old Folgers coffee, unless we're at Sam's Club where I can buy those tasty coffee beans in quantity; and we only go there about every six weeks. My grind-your-own habit isn't cheap (thanks a lot, A.J.). When Edna was here Tuesday, she told me about the coffee she buys at Save-a-Lot, so I may check that out. We drive by there on our way to the other local grocery store.

I'm going to pray for a good garden year in 2009. If I only can tomatoes, it'll save us a fortune. It's amazing how many tomato-based foods I make: chili, stews, jambalaya, gumbo, casseroles. And canning my own means I can leave the salt out. Did you ever check a lable to see how much sodium is in your store-bought canned tomatoes and sauce? It's horrible!

So, let's see how well I stick to my plan. I'd better not have any more grocery bills over $100! After all, it's just me and Cliff, and I buy very little meat beyond chicken leg quarters and ground beef.

10 comments:

  1. If you like flavored coffee try Folgers Carmel Drizzle. I got it recently and loved it. Still a little pricy but not as bad a Starbucks. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you ... two trips to the grocery store this week? Nearly $200.00, for three of us. But that's because I was too lazy to go to the Co-op for the pet food and bird seed.

    I find that I spend less if I just take the time to go to the specialty stores. They may charge a bit more, but I stay on target and yes, that does help keep costs down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:13 AM

    Like you we are "food" budget minded..don't care for Walmart items..specially in fruits and veggies..so I shop Krogers..probably a bit higher but quality is better I think..and yes..it is the "non food" items that run up the ticket!!! I shop for five...and a hundred dollars just doesn't do it..but we try LOL..bananas .. 60 cents a pound...outrageous...but I have to have my banana a day...God Bless..hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you, Donna. There are three of us, and we eat pretty heartily. The prices here are much higher than where I was from in TN. Last year, I was spending $200 a week at the store for groceries, which included all toiletries and cleaning supplies. A few months ago, I cut that in half. This past week, I cut it in half again, and I'll just tell you I'm having to get pretty creative with that 50 bucks. Sure would have helped if I'd have had a seasonal garden and put some stuff up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:28 AM

    I wish I could still have a garden but it's pretty hard here with a completely shady yard and a hundred squirrels! I managed some potted peppers and tomatoes this year. I could move the pots around loooking for the sun! Sorry about Norby, he could always be counted on for a nice donation for the sports etc in OG.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you loud and clear! I never stick to the list as I always see something I really really need (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shop at sav-a-lot also, and a pet supply is right next door...
    gas has gone down to 2.06 this week. that helps, but we are now running the furnace. with two teenagers, who are in sports a hubby that works outside at full throttle, we go through a lot of food. Even when i was single i always remember the biggest cost being paper products. the fact that i have a home and a cabin adds an extra cost, especially when my mother, brother, and sister go to the cabin and use my stuff like it was their own private pantry.
    loopy for a reason

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a plan and well thought out too.

    You will succeed definitely with that kind of analysis and determination.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our Walmarts here don't sell groceries. So I have to go to the grocery store. But, even with just buying for ME (and my son when he's here, and brother) I spend at least $100 every 10 days or so. I think I average about $300/month. The most expensive trips are when I need to buy cleaning items, paper goods, and stuff like that. I just hate grocery shopping!!!
    Hope you like Folgers. I drink that kind, too.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grocery expenses have gotten crazy. I know I have 3 growing kids, but still....crikey.
    Coffee is something only I drink (Jesse does on the weekends)so I get something I like, but I figured out how much soda we drink/purchase. I'm stunned.

    I've been browsing alot of blogs for grocery saving tips and ideas...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!