Saturday, November 22, 2008

Are you ready for Black Friday?

I found a website with all the major Black Friday ads HERE.

Being a non-driver and having a husband who hates to shop, I've done the black Friday thing only once in my life, with my daughter and a couple of her friends. I've never been one to go all-out buying Christmas gifts, and these days I just don't do any gift-buying at all; call me Scrooge. I do think that if I drove, I'd get out early and watch the excitement, though. I'm sure a couple of hours would do me in; then I'd be begging for the comforts of home.

Which reminds me: Yesterday Cliff and I took his motorcycle to Tipton, Missouri, to have some maintenance work done; fluids changed, brakes, checked... that sort of thing. The cost for this at Ghetto Cycle Center is much less than at Hub, which is where we've always gone before. And with gasoline prices at $1.49 per gallon (and less), we didn't mind the little drive. We even spent a couple of hours visiting with Cliff's aunt, who lives in the area.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, shopping: we stopped in Warrensburg so Cliff could buy the oil for our Gold Wing. The Walmart Supercenter we entered was bustling with shoppers, all of whom seemed happy and polite. The management must pipe some sort of happy gas into the store, because I'm used to Walmart shoppers practically running me down with their shopping carts; and if they make eye contact at all, it's usually to glare at me. Most shoppers seem angry at the world. It was like this even before our economy shot craps!

Of course, I have to pause here and admit that when I see a reflection of my own face while shopping, I don't exactly look the picture of peace and good will. So maybe I'm just getting back the same vibes I'm sending out.

And that's my totally random entry for this morning. As I read back over my words, I can see this whole post goes nowhere and says very little. If you made it all the way to the end, aren't you sorry you wasted your time? (Don't answer that.)

8 comments:

  1. LOL about your reflection on your face. I guess most of us are guilty of the same. LOL Gas in your area is wonderful! Of course, I'm thankful for our prices too...I bought for $1.78 yesterday...so much better than $4 something! THANK YOU DEAR LORD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't waste my time, i'm sitting here haveing a cup of coffe with you, I'm not a big shopper myself, my sister on the other hand, likes to shop black friday THE WHOLE DAY! That's too much for me.There are many days when shopping at my local store, I do my best to smile at evry one I meet. Or even give a brief comment on the weather....but i have to admit, somedays to get a smile in return is hard, and in my mind, i almost always think "Sure...don't smile, your face might break in half!"
    loopy as always

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:34 AM

    hey there DONNA you never waste my time I enjoy reading about what goes on in your world. I never go shopping on black fri. to many people who are crazy. i go maybe the last week just before Christmas never have the money to get much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:40 AM

    I'd rather be kicked in the head than go shopping under Black Friday conditions. However, I'm happy to sit at home that day and order the majority of my gifts online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Usually we spend some time in one of the small towns near by and look at a craft fair going on. No malls for us. But this year will be so different. I'm just thankfull that my whole family will be together celebrating in one place. I often wonder when I see all the unhappy faces even in places like amusement parks, what it would really take to make some people smile??? Enjoyed your entry this morning! 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never ever done Black Friday and I never ever intend to do so. Never. Loved the pix yesterday of the schoolhouse. Our boy attended a one-roomer for a couple of years. He thrived... then the teacher changed, and that was the end of that

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom and I used to visit two small antique and craft towns on Black Friday--very long on ambiance and short on shoppers. I was going to try to go this year, but I think my dad needs me to hang out with him more than I need a trip down memory lane.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know Walmart has some good deals...but I so rarely go there. I can't stand the place, to be honest. Just me.
    Glad you had a nice day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!