Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Surprises in a winter garden

I have paid no attention to the garden since October.

However, when we have a nice day in the 50's with little wind blowing and the sun shining, I try to spend at least thirty minutes out in the sun because it helps to put me in a good mood.  I have given up taking actual walks, but I shuffle around the yard and go out in the pasture a little way.  I watch Gabe having fun.  At one point I saw him chewing on something and forced it out of his mouth.  Ew!  It was some kind of bone that had been around a while.

I looked at the garden and saw there were still signs of life, in spite of the fact that we've had multiple frosts:  spinach, carrots, a huge cabbage that wasn't huge in October, and one big turnip I had missed.  I reached down and picked a spinach leaf and ate it; it was delicious, with a little bit of sweet taste, which surprised me. 





The bugs had been eating on the cabbage before the frosts, but after pulling the outside leaves off, it looks great now.



This turnip was bigger to start with, but the top wasn't good, so I cut it off.

I never imagined things would keep growing on the day before the start of winter.  Live and learn.  In October the carrots were finger-sized.  Look at them now!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:56 PM

    Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:01 PM

    That is awesome. I love garden surprises like these. Usually most all greens; spinach, chard, mustard ..etc, get sweeter after a frost. Rebecca H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas surprise gift from your garden. The turnip looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to find surprises in the garden. That cabbage looks nice! My dogs love carrots and I grow them ainly for them. They will not steal them out of the garden, they want them washed first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a big pan of creamed carrots yesterday evening. Delicious! Gabe will eat them cooked, but not raw.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if the extra growth is because of the warm weather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That helped, I'm sure. But I had never planted these things so late in the year before, so maybe they can withstand the cold better than I knew. If my health permits, I'm going to try this again.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful surprise! Your garden just keeps on giving!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, makes me anxious to get stuff planted in my new garden.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!